plugins: bettr hook into wp_footer than get_footer

Had to learn the hard way that the Ultimate Facebook plugin hooks its init script into get_footer rather than wp_footer. Shouldn’t the former be used for templates and the latter as the action hook to insert plugin scripts?

Being theme related some themes are not using get_footer.

Best regards,

Timo

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Timo,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for pointing that out and not being a lead developer nor a coder myself I have no comment.

However I will bring this to the attention to the lead developer as feedback.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• tmfrnz
    • New Recruit

cheers! just to be clear: i was able to fix it by reintroducing get_footer into my theme – just wanted to raise the attention to this issue to the developers so they can consider adjusting this and possibly other plugins or alternatively give a reason for not doing so =)

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

@tmfrnz, I’d be happy to :slight_smile: I am well aware that the “wp_footer” hook is supposed to be a standard one but, unfortunately, it’s not. You’d be surprised how many themes out there has absolutely no notion of it. The “get_footer” one is an utilitarian choice because it seems to be present more frequently and, although not technically the correct one, gets the job done in a wider number of cases.

Having said all that, there are a couple of ways you can influence what the plugin uses as the footer hook. As @vineet957 already said (thanks!), some of it can be found in the topic he linked to. In a nutshell, to force the plugin to use “wp_footer” as the footer hook, you can add a define like this:

define('WDFB_FOOTER_HOOK', true, true);

Or, to use a specific footer hook, you can specify that instead. For an example, this would work with Shoestrap theme:

define('WDFB_FOOTER_HOOK', 'shoestrap_after_footer', true);

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Timo,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn’t resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.