Plugins causing thousands of tables within multisite database

Hello,

I have a multisite install that uses several of the WPMU plugins (about 20). My database is small in size, and I only have about 200 active blogs. However the database contains about 15,000 tables. This is causing timeout issues with my host WP Engine.

What are your recommendations when running a multisite install that requires this many plugins? I'm assuming I'm not the only one using several plugins, so I'm hoping there is a solution.

Thanks,
Chris

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Christopher

I hope you are having a great day!

The first thing I would recommend is getting in touch with the folks over at WP-Engine to see what, if any, tweaks can be made to your server setup there to reduce timeouts.

For example, ask them to increase the max_execution_time for you (I don't think you can do that yourself on their setups).

Next, check against their list of plugins that they don't allow (!) to be sure none of them are present on your site. They should be removed automatically, but ya never know. :slight_smile:
    http://wpengine.com/support/disallowed-plugins/

Also, this thread may be of interest to you:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/multi-db-plugin-wp-engine-hosting

But again, I think the best thing right now would be to contact support at WP-Engine first. They offer managed WordPress hosting so should be able to help you streamline your site. :slight_smile:

• Christopher
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @Patrick Cohen,

Thanks for the response. I have been in touch a lot with WP Engine. To try and help they have migrated me to a larger server, they have applied "query caching" to the server, and we are good on the dis-allowed plugins.

I will ask about max_execution_time. Also, I was considering using your multi-bd plugin. But I guess based on the article you referenced, that's not an option.

After looking at the database. apparently the the extra tables are being created by 2 WPMU plugins; Pop Over & Subscribe by Email. Are these 2 plugins heavy on the database?

Thanks,
    Chris

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Chirs

I can confirm that Pop Over & Subscribe by Email are not responsible to create that many tables.

As you have around 200 subsites already, then there are at least 201 X 9 ~ 2000 tables should be in your site. If these two plugins, create at least 3 tables for easy (example) then it will be more 1200 tables, but 15k tables are too much!

Do you remember, you have installed any plugins that can create tables and later you have delete the plugins? Some plugins doesn't delete tables when you uninstall the plugin.

Also, would you please, I know it's difficult, but if you can send us a list of the tables of one subsites, we can try to find out which plugins can create it. You can send us a screenshot.

Cheers
    Ash

• Christopher
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @Ashok

Thanks for the response. What about if I had a lot of Spam Blogs being created? Before I installed your Anti-Splog plugin I was getting at least 12 a night, for a while. I eventually deleted the spam blogs, but could the tables still be there?

Thanks,
    Chris

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Yes, that could be a major reason. When you look at the database, how many tables you are seeing for each site?

Look for wp_x_TABLENAME, here x is the ID of a site. So if you see 20 tables starts with wp_3_ then in the site (ID=3) you have 20 tables.

wp_ is the table prefix, could vary in your database.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.