plugins included via network activation and templates...

Do New Blog Templates, Multisite Theme Manager, Default Theme, and Theme Switcher plugins override the plugins previously network activated on multisite?

For example, if I network activate the Infinite SEO plugin on multisite, and then create a template that EXCLUDES the Infinite SEO plugin, will the Infinite SEO plugin remain for newly created sites using the template that excluded it? (because it was previously network activated)...Or will the template override the network activated plugins during site creation and not include the previously added (or network activated) plugins, in this case...the Infinite SEO plugin?

Thanks,
Jessica

• be

Hi Jessica..
    What should happen is the New Blog Template..
    Site you allocate to clone from (ie the template site)

You can choose to copy certain items to the new blog..
    It is a bit all or nothing though in the plugins.
    So copy all plugins active on the Blog or None of .

NETWORK ADMIN > BLOG TEMPLATES > CHOOSE THE TEMPLATE > EDIT (then choose your options)
    So its best if you have specific needs and plugins that you want all sites to use setup the clone site with those..

• Jessica

humm, ok so network activated plugins are considered active then, correct? (even if they don't necessarily show up in that template sites plugins page - assuming the template is being created on the same MS installation its going to be used on.... ) If so, that would mean those network activated plugins would be brought over?

I guess I'm just trying to understand how the template plugin differentiates and handles different types of plugins...ie "must have" plugins (excluded on per site plugin lists - which wouldn't show up in a template sites plugin page), network activated (also excluded and won't show up in a template sites plugin page), and site specific (the only plugins that actually show up on the plugins page of the template site being created...so I am trying to figure out where does it pull its plugin information from? All 3 places? (must have's, network activated and ones showing on plugin page - so long as their activated?) or only those showing on the plugins page for that template site, regardless of network activation, etc...

Sorry for the confusion, hope this is making sense...

• be

Its ok it is kind of confusing and lots of fun to figure ....

You are correct..
    Network activated means they are now available across your entire network - however each newly created blog you still have the ability to turn those on or off as required on each individual subsite.. Giving you the SUPER ADMIN and if you choose the ADMIN of each subsite the ability to control those plugins you have allowed..

NBT is an easy way for large sites to control what each new Blog/Store or whatever end use purpose is..

Eg: if you are running a lot of stores and want them all laid out with the same look and product categories.. etc..

• PC

Hey there Jessica,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

If so, that would mean those network activated plugins would be brought over?

Yes, they will be brought over as anything network activated is available on all the subsites by default.

So basically we can say that the New Blog templates plugin is used to allow your users to get a kick starter site with pages, sample posts, settings and some must use plugins.

Now the must use plugins can be provided to them in 2 ways :

1: Network activate them

Or

2: Activate them on the template blog using which you have created the template and then they will be replicated on the new sites you create using that template.

Makes sense ?

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Thanks to @be for chiming in to help. Points coming !

Cheers, PC

• Jessica

Ok, makes sense @PC....so it doesn't work any different than WP would naturally behave with plugins. They would all be brought over and placed in their respective plugin "places" lol...gotcha. Thanks for the clarification on this. Taking the day off today, so will post again if any more ?'s come up when I get back into that headspace and actually start working with it again.

Thanks as well to @be for all your help.

Jessica

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.