Plugins menus in dashboard

I have 4 installations running WP 3.5 and BP 1.6.2. There are some plugins for which on one site I see the plugin specific menu in the Site Admin dashboard, and on other sites I see it in the Network Admin dashboard. Examples include Automessage, BP Groupomatic, Activity, and Mobile Detector. I cannot figure out the rhyme or reason why I see one behavior on one installation, and something different in another installation.

• PC

Hello @nsbp001

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

The reason you see that is coz a few plugins if network activated are configured in the network admin and hence do not show up in the site admin.

I hope that help explain the situation :slight_smile:

Please feel free to ask if you want me to explain it for a particular plugin. I can come back with a few screenshots if you want.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• aecnu

Greetings nsbp001,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I admit I have no way to tell you the reason without digging into each specific installation.

For example if the Automessage plugin is network activated then it will not appear in the sub sites.

I cannot speak for the other plugins but imagine that they are following this same protocol.

Please advise if you find this to hold true throughout installations.

Cheers, Joe

• nsbp001

So far I only have the admin site and I am looking at the Network Admin dashboard and the Site Admin dashboard. I have multiple independent installations. One example is that Group-o-matic menu appears in the Network Admin dash for one installation, but the Site Admin on another installation. Cannot understand why the difference.

Is there a way I can get you to look at all the installations to get an expert diagnosis?

• aecnu

Greetings nsbp001,

Thank you for your additional input and question.

Is there a way I can get you to look at all the installations to get an expert diagnosis?

Sure enough email log in credentials to at least two domains with contrary symptoms and I will take a look at them to aecnu (at) incsub.com and please be sure to include the URL to this ticket: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/plugins-menus-in-dashboard

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings nsbp001 Happy New Year!

Thank you for bringing this ticket back in focus and sorry for the delay since free off forum support is at a premium and is provided on a first come first serve basis.

And indeed the good news is that you are up.

So I visited the continuum site which has the plugin network activated which I believe like Buddy Press this is not correct.

Now that I can see the name of the plugin and can dig into that part it appears that the plugin is not compatible with WordPress above WordPress 3.3 as it clearly states on its own home page Compatible up to: 3.3

I would write the author of the plugin about this because they either need to update for compatibility with a higher version of WordPress or not and if not then you should not be trying to use it on installations higher then 3.3

But on Jets it is also network activated as well as Buddy Press being network activated as well though once again they should be site by site activated.

Baryons is the same case as well network activated.

So it is my conclusion that in the first place Buddy press shoudl not be newtrok activated because it is not network compatible - meaning it is not MultiSite compatible - though they keep promising that it will be - it has yet to happen.

The second item is that it appears the BuddyPress Group-O-Matic must be network activated though it is not MultiSite compatible either or rather how can it be if the parent program Buddy Press is not.

All these questions to include the overall compatibility to the WordPress version and the fact of only network activation it appears only the author will be able to answer for us as to the reasons thereof.

Please advise, I would love to hear what they have to say about these inconsistencies and erratic behavior.

Have a GREAT New Year and look forward to hearing from you in any event.

Cheers, Joe