Plugin(s) required to start a wordpress.com-type network?

I am looking to start a wordpress.com-type network and am a little confused…

1) Do i need the Domain-Mapping plugin, or does Pro-Sites have domain mapping built-in?

2) I already have a couple of sites on the network that i set up manually – will these be affected?

3) When i added sites manually, i had to add them to my user account at WPEngine – will i still have to do this (kind of stops it being an automated system)?

Thanks

John.

• PoshWeb
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Ok so i got stuck-in and answered questions 1 and 2 myself!

Still not sure about number 3 though. I had a different domain mapping plugin installed before and have now ripped it out and used the wpmudev domain mapping plugin…do i still need to add each new site domain in my wpengine backend?

Thanks

• PoshWeb

I went through that and set up wildcarding with my registrar. WPengine support tech told me to still add the sites in my account there.

I was under the impression though that this could become a completely hands-off solution. Did i misunderstand, or is it just wpengine that is different to other hosting platforms?

I’ll try and set up a new test site without adding it in my wpengine dashboard and see what happens….

Thanks

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

WPEngine does have a rather unique setup, but if wildcard is enabled, then the signup process is handled by WordPress. It should just work and be automatic.

domain.com/wp-signup.php

That’s normally the signup form where they can create a site.

Just like WordPress.com Edublogs.org and all the others.

Let me know how you get on, I’m always interested to hear especially when it comes to companies like WP Engine because they work differently. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• PoshWeb

Update:

I tried another new site and it worked without touching the wpengine settings.

Maybe the old mapping plugin did something differently or maybe i have become incredibly tired after several days trying to get multisite set up :slight_smile:

Anyway, it works now – so thanks again.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.