Plugins won't upload and won't activate - Membership and Pro Sites

I'm trying to download/upload/activate a couple of plugins to test them out. So far, no luck. :disappointed:

When I try to upload Membership to the server, I get this error:

Fetch could not put "class.membership.php" because the FTP server encountered an error accessing a file or folder. If you entered a file name, folder name, or URL, check that it is correct. Server responded: 'class.membership.php: Forbidden command argument.'"

I uploaded Pro Sites successfully, but when I tried to activate it, I got this mesage:

There was an issue determining where Pro Sites is installed. Please reinstall.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, cgiadmin@yourhostingaccount.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Any help appreciated. I just signed up and so far I'm 0 for 2 on installing. :disappointed:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey ProSapien.

Please download a set of those files, unpack them and then manually upload them via FTP

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/introduction-to-ftp-and-using-ftp-clients/

Both plugins you refer to should be installed in the following folder:

/wp-contents/plugins/

Fetch could not put "class.membership.php" because the FTP server encountered an error accessing a file or folder. If you entered a file name, folder name, or URL, check that it is correct. Server responded: 'class.membership.php: Forbidden command argument.'"

Where do you get that error?

Take care.

• ProSapien

Yes, I already did that. I downloaded them, unpacked them, and manually uploaded both by FTP to the correct folder. (I'm new to WPMUDev, but I've been coding sites since 1994 and using WordPress since 2003.)

I get that error when I'm trying to upload the membership plugin via FTP (the client I use is Fetch).

The other error came when I tried to activate the Pro Sites plugin that I had already uploaded via FTP.

• ProSapien

FatCow (my host) has "recently stopped supporting" creating FTP user with particular criteria. So, I'm having trouble creating an account to access that site. :disappointed: I'm still working on it, but it might (believe if or not) require MOVING the site to a new directory. Sheesh. I'm not liking FatCow.

In the mean time, I've been able to upload every other file for Membership manually. When I try to upload class.membership.php alone, it throws the same error as above. (I downloaded the files two more times with the same result.)

And the Pro Site won't activate, as per above.

I did get ONE WPMU plugin to work, the videos (although haven't used it yet), but that's the only thing that has worked yet.

If you have any ideas while I'm trying to work this out, it would be appreciated!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again. :slight_smile:

FatCow (my host) has "recently stopped supporting" creating FTP user with particular criteria. So, I'm having trouble creating an account to access that site. :disappointed: I'm still working on it, but it might (believe if or not) require MOVING the site to a new directory. Sheesh. I'm not liking FatCow.

Something just doesn't sound right....... So they are stopping the creation of FTP, with what criteria?

In the mean time, I've been able to upload every other file for Membership manually. When I try to upload class.membership.php alone, it throws the same error as above. (I downloaded the files two more times with the same result.)

So they are somehow filtering FTP?

Is it cPanel? If so what about the file manager in there?

If you have any ideas while I'm trying to work this out, it would be appreciated!

Try another host?

I think though, but not sure here but "Server responded: 'class.membership.php: Forbidden command argument.'" might because of the double dot.......

Try renaming the file as "classmembership.php" uploading the file and if it works then rename it to "class.membership.php"

Worth a try, let me know how you get on.

Take care.

• ProSapien

Here is what FatCow said:

Recently, we have discontinued this feature on our platform. Hence, it is not possible to create the FTP user with the period in the directory name. I suggest that you create a new folder without any special character in it and create the FTP user for that directory.

I tried changing the name (removing the period) and it uploaded via FTP, but as soon as I tried to change the name I got an almost identical error message. (Can't rename because...)

FatCow doesn't use CPanel, but I then tried their file manager...and it worked. Augh!

Now Membership is installed.

I deleted Pro Sites, downloaded a new copy and reinstalled. This time it activated. Hopefully we are done with the plugin problems. Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again. :slight_smile:

Did they give a reason they don't allow another period in there?

I wonder if they blamed hackers or something, saying this is how they name files. I saw a host saying this once before with a client of mine. Really it makes no difference how a file is named, if it contained something dodgy then removing a period won't fix that.

Odd they don't filter their file manager in the same way, some inconsistencies there.

Anyway, glad I could help and that you have it all loaded up now. :slight_smile:

Let us know how you continue to get on with them or if you switch to another host.

Take care.