Point Domain to Multiple Pro Site Installations Using Multi-Domains

Hi. I understand that to use additional domains in Pro Sites I need to create an A record in the DNS and point it to the IP of my Pro Sites installation. Can I do this process multiple times and point A records to multiple IPs so the domain can be used on multiple instances of Pro Sites? If not, is there any other way to achieve this result? Thanks!!

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Steve,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I understand that to use additional domains in Pro Sites I need to create an A record in the DNS and point it to the IP of my Pro Sites installation.

You can use Domain Mapping plugin and the Allow multiple mappings per site option for that.

Can I do this process multiple times and point A records to multiple IPs so the domain can be used on multiple instances of Pro Sites?

So you need to point the same domain in different Pro Sites, meaning in different WP multisites?

You should be able to add as many A records as you want in the nameservers of a domain name, why should you do such setup though? What are you trying to accomplish? Please advise!

The only reason that I can think of, is "To Configure DNS Round-Robin Load-Balancing For High-Availability" :thinking:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-dns-round-robin-load-balancing-for-high-availability

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Steve
    • Flash Drive

Hi Dimitris. Thanks for you help. I think I poorly explained what I’m trying to do.

I basically want to add a domain to Pro Sites using the Multi-Domains plugin as described here.

I wondered if I could add the same domain to multiple Pro Site installations as I want to set up multisite networks in different languages and use the same domain for websites across all installations.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Steve

Hope all is well!

With the Multi Domains plugin, you can map your main site, in WordPress multisite, with different domain names. A site can be loaded with, for example:

A-domain.com
    B-domain.com
    C-domain.com

When the plugin is activated along with Pro Site, the users have an option to select under which domain they wish to create a site.

For a subdomain WordPress installation, it can be subsite.A-domain.com or subsite.B-domain.com. Though, please note one subsite can’t have multiple domain names like:

subsite.A-domain.com

subsite.B-domain.com

Only with Domain Mapping plugin, you can map multiple top-level/second-level domains to a subdomain.

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Kind regards,

Nastia

• Steve
    • Flash Drive

Hi Nastia. Thanks for your reply.

My understanding of domain mapping is that it redirects a domain to another site. I don’t want to redirect the domain but I want to use it as a domain option in multisite. The instructions I’m referring to are in the usage guide in the link I posted in the previous comment. Are you suggesting I should use domain mapping to achieve this?

In the usage guide it says “In the DNS records for each domain added, add a wildcard subdomain that points to the IP of your WordPress multisite. You simply need to add an “A” Record by entering an asterisk for the name, and the IP of your multisite for the address.” I wondered if I could add additional records pointing to other wordpress multisites to make it a domain option on more than one multisite.

• Oguz
    • QA Engineer

Hey Steve ,

Hope you’re well.

I understand your question. But it looks like impossible to achieve, let me explain why. The DNS/A Records works like pointing one server, this is how the internet and domain name system designed. To use a different domain at the WordPress the IP address should point main site installation, that means you can use your domain at only one WordPress installation.

If you ask “is it really impossible to achieve that?” of course it can be possible in some way but that needs really long time development and our plugin is not designed for that kind of usage.

Cheers,

Oguz

• Steve
    • Flash Drive

Nice one Oguz!! Thanks very much. As an alternative I’ll make subdomains for different regions like uk.domain.com, es.domain.com, etc and point those domains to the different main site installations unless you see there being any problems with that. Thanks for your advice.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.