Point of MultiSite

Hello,

First of all, dealing with a Rookie here.

I am contemplating setting up MultiSite. I will explain you guys my scenario to see if MultiSite will be fitting or useful.

I own several different domains (kangarew.com, luvmemo.com, itsuu.com, costaricaroofing.com, etc., etc.) You get the point. However, each site has its own separate theme, its own different plugins it uses, and its different purposes. I wouldn't think of it as a "network".

That being said, I WOULD LOVE to automate my website processes more, and expedite the effectiveness of editing/maintaining these sites if I could do all of this with one simple control panel login.

Is this what MultiSite can do? Or do I have it all twisted?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Yip, that is where multisite shines :wink:
    You will need one adittional plugin called domain mapping. There are two versions:
    WPMUDEV: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping
    WORDPRESS: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/
    And you will need a dedicated IP address.

The setup I find works best is subdirectory install, but others prefer subdomain instead... It really is based on your own setup/preferences.

network.com
    network.com/forum/
    network.com/shop/
    network.com/domainonedotcom/
    nework.com/domaintwodotcom/
    network.com/domainthreedotcom/

And then I use domain mapping plugin to map those domains.
    network.com/domainonedotcome > domainone.com
    network.com/domaintwodotcom > domaintwo.com

Hope that helps.

• jp
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Awesome. And with theme installations regarding multisite...

Just drag into the themes folder just like normal? And they will be available to all of the "other sites" as well?

And just for normal conditions (adding themes to wordpress via FTP) I have found that putting them into the standard /public_html/wp-content/themes folder is not necessarily making them available for all of my different domains across the board. Is there an option I am missing that is not making me see them? I just go into "themes" on my WP dashboard and I would imagine they would be under "available themes"?

Still a little confused there.

• Jonathan

And with theme installations regarding multisite...

With multisite you get an additional control panel called "Site Admin"
    Look at your name link on top right hand corner howdy, name click it and select "Site Admin"
    From here you can control your network... users/plugins/themes etc.

Plugins you can network activate - means it will be activated on each site, or you will activate it site by site as per normal wordpress.

Themes, you must enable them. Network Enable. So ftp them up and then go "Site Admin" and enable those themes you want to use (this allows them to be seen and activated by subsites)

Probably best to read up on multisite and all the options you have at your disposal :wink:

A worthwhile link:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Migrating_Multiple_Blogs_into_WordPress_3.0_Multisite

• jp

Great, that makes sense.

What about in just normal wordpress? I am having issues having my themes available on the website interface after I have FTP them to the specific domain. How do I activate them? I go to "themes" and I dont see them there.

• Jonathan

What about in just normal wordpress? I am having issues having my themes available on the website interface after I have FTP them to the specific domain. How do I activate them? I go to "themes" and I dont see them there.

Not part of network right?. Network needs them to be activated "Site Admin"

On normal wordpress?
    Did they ftp up correctly, usually if they missing style sheet or something they error out (bottom of screen says something like incomplete themes) Can't remember off hand.

Also, could be a plugin conflict - are you using any permission restriction or dashboard altering plugins?

But the usual is there is an issue with the theme itself.

• jp

Well, its the standard Product theme, and the FrameMarket theme. I don't think there are issues with these themes. I initially tried installing them using the zipped file upload on the WP web interface, and that didnt seem to load them correctly.

In the past I have always just added themes using a zipped file on the WP web interface, is that just a no-no with WPMUDEV practice?

Thank you in advance!

• Jonathan

Can't say I've had that issue? But I ftp it up to the server, and don't use any of the wordpress built in features [update, upload, etc].

Oh, When I say issue with theme itself, I was referring to the uploading of the theme. Something goes wrong :wink:
    Perhaps wait for one of the support stuff to come along. I do know of some folks that have had issue with the wordpress unpacking of zip files etc. Most times it is a timeout issue etc.

It can really be a whole bunch of things.

Anyways, I let support troubleshoot this one as it will be a process of elimination.

Perhaps mark this topic as closed and open a new one with the issue as this topic was for multisite, and now it has moved to can't upload and activate themes. This will help the staff target your issues.

Edit:

back to the Multisite - would we need a dedicated IP address for each domain or one is suffice for the entire "network?

One should will be fine for the entire network.
    Here is a tutorial; https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-map-domains-with-the-wpmu-dev-domain-mapping-plugin/

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi jp,

Just to add one more valuable resource to the great list Jonathan's already provided, the following page from the online manuals here helps to explain some of the intricacies of Multisite. :slight_smile:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/wordpress-wordpress-mu-and-wordpress-multisite/

Regarding the theme issues you mentioned, the themes here technically are no different than standard WordPress themes and can indeed be installed from your admin area (I do that quite often myself).

If you're having issues with them though, please let us know with a new thread providing any details you can give us. We'll take a look at that there with ya! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
    David

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

To further expand on the dedicated IP question - you need only 1. That is the one for the main site installation. Typing that IP address into the browser will return the main site.

Then, the other domains will be need to be pointed to that same IP address. Without domain mapping, those domains will resolve in displaying the main site. The domain mapping plugin tells the main site what to do with requests for the mapped domain (so instead of displaying the main site, it displays the mapped site).

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.