Using Dedicated Nameservers And NS Records Instead Of A Records

I currently have 3 servers set up: a pair of dedicated nameservers ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com and a dedicated server for my wordpress instance. The nameservers direct all domain names pointed to them to the dedicated server which hosts the multisite wordpress instance containing the domain mapping plugin. I understand that typically domains that are to be mapped should have an A record added to point to the dedicated server however I would instead like domains to point to the 2 nameservers set up to point directly to this wordpress instance. How would I set this up? Any advice or help is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @Alfred,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your question.

This will certainly take a bit of trial and error to try to figure it out.

Therefore in an effort of expediency I will see if I can get my colleagues @Jack Kitterhing and @Michelle Shull with his valuable insight into this plugin for his advise for us.

They will reply on this thread shortly.

You will find information about the usage of this plugin on the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

Thanks,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Alfred
    • New Recruit

Thanks Vinod,

As a note everything else is set up, I believe all the focal point is having the plugin respond to any domain instead of restricting them against other values. Perhaps that makes the issue slightly simpler (however I do not know the inner workings/source of the plugin so well yet).

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Alfred,

Either way you do this, unless you park those domains on your server, you are going to require A records.

You can change the nameservers in your domain registrar, so for each domain at the registrar you just enter your servers nameservers rather than using your domain registrars ns settings.

However I think you would still most likely need to setup A records on your servers CPanel.

On my registrar 123-reg.co.uk

I have mine set here. But i'm on shared hosting, so it might be different if you control your own nameservers.

Either way though, you still need to set the ns at your domain registrar.

Hope this helps

• Alfred
    • New Recruit

"...unless you park those domains on your server..."

That's the idea. Currently the nameservers set up are dedicated and created by myself. The DNS configuration redirects all requests to it to the dedicated server supporting wordpress. In essence, think of the nameservers as being dedicated (because they are, 3 separate servers wholly operated by myself). In this context the routing is many-to-1 and not many-to-many (domains to sites), I should not need A or CNAMEs.

The solution in this case could be actually removing the CNAME and A name checks altogether from the plugin if you own the NS servers and point to a single wpmu instance/site. Since I wholly own the pathing from the DNS server onwards, I should be able to trust any domain name in the space and set up any mappings I would guess. Any thoughts?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.