Pointing domain back to old server during development

In a WPMU multi-site setup, have a client's site finished and want to point their DNS to my servers. Problem is, they have a live site already at another host. I want to do it with no down time, of course, since they get traffic.

I've seen hosts before who did something where I was able to change the DNS on the domain to the new server, but the host pointed it back to the old host until I was ready. Once I was ready, they'd do something and the switch would be instant.

Is this possible within my WPMU admin, and, if so, can you tell me how? I'm hosed at pSek.

Thank you.

• aecnu

Greetings chucklasker,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

In a WPMU multi-site setup, have a client's site finished and want to point their DNS to my servers. Problem is, they have a live site already at another host. I want to do it with no down time, of course, since they get traffic.

I've seen hosts before who did something where I was able to change the DNS on the domain to the new server, but the host pointed it back to the old host until I was ready. Once I was ready, they'd do something and the switch would be instant.

Is this possible within my WPMU admin, and, if so, can you tell me how?

Just switch the name servers at will and propagation to the new server will begin immediately. It should take about six hours for a .com or .net or a little more to go global. Meanwhile the traffic depending upon where it is coming from will go to one serve or the other until propagation is complete.

But there will be no down time because both sites are live.

Please remember to clear your cache (DNS Resolver) on your own computer after the switch has been thrown or you will not see the new site for up to 48 hours. On Windows computers this is accomplished with browsers closed go to Programs --> Accessories --> Command Prompt and at the DOS prompt input ipconfig /flushdns and then hit enter - it will tell you that it has been cleared.

Please let me know how it goes.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Arnold

It's not that both are receiving. Some users will get one address and be using the old server and some will be getting the new server. But they won't send the same data to both machines.

However if you are not going to merge the two databases you'll need to stop the old server and strat the new and some will see downtime.

Now another way you can do it is setup the domain on your server and a separate development domain pointing to the same files on the new server. Then do an 302 redirect to the development domain from the old server. That will immediately redirect them to the new server on the development domain. When DNS catches up it will just go to the proper domain on your server. Thst's about as instant as you can get.

Beware though. Any canonical urls will be looking at the old server. Relative urls would be alright.

• aecnu

Greetings chucklasker,

In reference to Arnold's comment about the databases I also agree that they would need to be synchronized one the transfer is complete - hopefully the old on is on a static IP.

To help ease the pain and assist synchronizing the databases, I offer you to download in what is in my opinion the greatest Database Management software of all time Navicat.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.