Pointing me in the right direction

Hello -

Thanks everyone for their response and input on these sites. Honestly, I'm a beginner and everyone's experience is definitely great to be around.

I was hoping if you could point me in the right direction. I have a request to make a site that would feature two very different futures:
- commenting and 'rooms': the site is about events; the events have a post page. if conversation around that event becomes active enough, the site administer creates a 'room' that behaves like a private forum and informs all of the conversants that the room is open. Acces to that room can be posted on page much like regular navigation
- subdomains for writers: so followers of the site range from beginners to very experience, what I was hoping was for some way to give them notable posting and contribution ability so they could create posts and articles that would show up on the site and also on their own smaller site associated with the larger site. The subdomain would just be their stuff (in the overall site's look and feel) but the larger site would display their articles as well as the events and posts of other contributors.

I really appreciate anyone's insight into possible recipes for this - many many thanks.

Philip

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello Philip,

Welcome to WPMU Dev! Thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

Looking at your needs, I have this feeling that you have come to the right place. Let me get you started.

First, you need something to create events, we just updated our Events and Bookings Plugin, so that is exactly what you want: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/events-and-booking
    There is a beta version of the plugin that is being tested right now - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-events-plugin-beta

All events are like pages/posts. You can have the discussion over comments. You could use our Comment Plus plugin to integrate Twitter and Facebook comments into the discussion - https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/comments-plus

Now you need a forum for each event, we just updated our Forum plugin to actually show multiple forums on one single page, here it is: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/forums
    You can create an integrate a forum on a page, using shortcode, the way you want it :slight_smile:

(Now that makes me think, everything you asked for was updated last week, or is being updated, I have this feeling like this was meant to happen)

Now for the sub-domains, you could use the New Blog Templates plugin to easily create new sites with all the themes, plugins and settings you want: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template

You would want to create a Members directory as well: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/members-directory or a Blogs directory: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/blogs-directory

Now you want the main site to show articles from the sub-domains of all users, here is the plugin you need: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-global-posts-widget
    and to create one single RSS feed for all the sub-sites as well : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-global-author-posts-feed

I hope I have mentioned everything you would need, Let me know what you think. Good luck on that :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Arun Basil Lal

• phifraphofum
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello Arun -

First off, I simply can't thank you enough. I'm incredibly impressed! This is going to be an impressive project for one client and I can actually perform another project that i was just thinking of with what you've outlined here. Amazing.

The installation of the pieces didn't go smoothly because of my own fault. I have a few quick questions:
    - can I install both the blog and forum widgets? Technically there will be two different roles:
    -- writers: who will be promoted as being content producers (like a columnist) on the blog - they will have subdomains (writer.website.com = prestige)
    ---- this way they can self promote and if we can ever get advertising aligned with their site it will be easier to track
    -- bloggers: members of the community who contribute for a short time; their content contribution will help the site; any additional revenue that is leveraged from their posts will go directly back to the community (website.com/blogger's blog = short term relationship)

- the blog template has two sets of directions:
    -- the first says to put it in the mu-plugin folder
    -- the second says to upload it into the blogtemplates folder

After I updated to Multisite MU the forum, WPMU update widget, and this blogtemplates widget disappeared. Before that when I activated them, they crashed my system. I can't seem to get them in my dashboard to 'activate' them now. I checked SOME documentation last night but I couldn't seem to find how to resolve that. If you can point me in the right direction for that documentation - that would be helpful.

Lastly, as you guessed, I'm updating this in a test site online. Yes, it's silly. Is there documentation you have on performing these checks locally and then updating them from FileZilla? I know. I know. You'd think I'd have a local version at this point... I'll take your direction.

Again, you've made TWO visions I've had come one step closer to reality. I'm surprised I got this far and I'm looking forward to completing this.

Amazing work.

Side note: The directions I did find were very simple. Sometimes it's a little overwhelming and as you read you go off on tangents and get lost in the weeds; how you showed me cut through all that. Many thanks.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

phifraphofum,

Welcome to WPMU dev!

You seem to have quite a project on your hands :slight_smile:

I echo your sentiment on Arun's response, he did an AMAZING job!

I'll see if I can also help tie up some loose ends for you:

- can I install both the blog and forum widgets? Technically there will be two different roles

Yes you can. Your user roles can be controlled from the back end of your wordpress install. You can give users the capability to interact with your site however you choose. Short term, long term, no matter. Your long term users with independent sites on your network can function exactly the same as your short term users when they are all on your main site.

Some Detail if you are interested: http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

- the blog template has two sets of directions:
    -- the first says to put it in the mu-plugin folder

I'm afraid we have fallen short on this one. Since the latest update you no longer need to put the pluign in the mu-plugin folder. You can treat it like any other plugin and install in /plugins . My apologies for this oversight in the directions. We are trying to make it easier for users to use the plugins without navigating through all the mu-specific files. Getting this in the right place should greatly help your compatibility :slight_smile:

Lastly, as you guessed, I'm updating this in a test site online. Yes, it's silly. Is there documentation you have on performing these checks locally and then updating them from FileZilla? I know. I know. You'd think I'd have a local version at this point... I'll take your direction.

The most common way to do this is develop your site online in a subdomain then move to the actual domain once everything is up and running. It's easiest and most effective :slight_smile:

Hope this helped to clear up a few things for you!

Kimberly

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello Philip and Kimberly,

Thanks Kimberly for the follow-up (I owe you one!), somehow I lost track of this, my apologies Philip.

Regarding the documentation, like you said, many of the documentation has been out-dated. Our developers have been rolling out updates faster than our documentation team could catch up. This is one of our top priorities at the moment, hopefully within a month or two we should be able to cover all of our 300 plugins and themes.

When it comes to Ad sharing we have a plugin for you (looks like am the plugin guy here, when I see a need, I sort of know what to use :stuck_out_tongue:) - https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ad-sharing

After I updated to Multisite MU the forum, WPMU update widget, and this blogtemplates widget disappeared. Before that when I activated them, they crashed my system. I can't seem to get them in my dashboard to 'activate' them now. I checked SOME documentation last night but I couldn't seem to find how to resolve that. If you can point me in the right direction for that documentation - that would be helpful.

I am not quite clear with what you have mentioned here. What did you mean when you said you updated to Multisite MU the forum? Are you trying to install a forum plugin or something? Please elaborate a bit more so that I can help you out on this. Again, I am afraid if some of the old documentation have misled you, if you could provide a link to what you used, I could update it right away so that other users wont get confused.

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback Philip. Means much :slight_smile:

Arun Basil Lal

• phifraphofum

Hello Arun and Kim -

Setting up the blog functionality seems out of date. I'm not seeing the paths in step 2 and 3 of this direction step.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/installation/

This is saying:

In the WordPress dashboard go to Network Admin > Sites and hover your mouse over the site you wish to use as the template. In doing so, the site id (which will be used as the Blog ID) will show in the link in your browser.

I see:
    Settings
    Network Settings
    Network Setup
    Comments Plus
    Forums

I don't have the 'blog templates' piece.

And "Recent Global Author Posts Feed" widget crashes my site whenever I activate it.

Thank you, everyone again for helping this along.

Philip

• phifraphofum

Let me rephrase that - I'm having a problem with:

your admin dashboard go to Network Admin > Settings > Blog Templates 4. Give your template a name, select the Blog ID (the site id from Step 2) that will be used as the template, choose what features from the template blog you want to copy to new blog and then click Create Blog Template.

In my settings I only have:
    Network Settings
    Network Setup
    Comments Plus
    Forums

Thanks again.

• phifraphofum

OK I tested the creation of a blog. I registered and everything and I got the email (amazing!) and I clicked the activation key (HOLY CRAP IT HAS AN ACTIVATION KEY FEATURE!) and then I got a DNS error.

The server at tester.stonewall.engmgt.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network

Is it because It was a subdomain of a subdomain? Up to this point - seriously this widget is incredible. Wow. I know the rocket engine stopped halfway before reaching the moon - but man what a ride it was even halfway! Totally cool. Really totally awesome. You've given me a way to actually self register a site .. the client is going to FLIP OUT if this can work!

Is there a way that I could fix that, too?

Thanks -

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Philip,

Please answer my question:

Is the plugin "New Blog Templates" now installed on a sub-domain? Moreover, is the multi-site installed on a sub-domain?

But wouldn't creating a new blog automatically install all of the plug ins?

Yes, the plugin will install Plugins, themes, widgets and even users and files automatically.

Let me know.

• phifraphofum

OK. That is definitely not happening. The screen shot that I posted is of the subdomain - the new sub subdomain doesn't have any of those plugins.

I think I need to check what is happening in the htaccess settings of the site. If it's a subdomain of my site, should both htaccess directories be written the same way? Am I opening some risk for the original domain?

Again, thanks for your help.

Thanks -

Philip

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Philip,

Hope you are making some headway here :slight_smile:

Just thought I'd chime in and urge you a bit to answer Aruns question:

Is the plugin "New Blog Templates" now installed on a sub-domain? Moreover, is the multi-site installed on a sub-domain?

It's a vital piece of this puzzle and could end up making the situation a little easier to solve. :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• phifraphofum

Hello -

Yes, I tripled checked. New blog templates IS installed on the multisite domain. When I created my template two things happened:
    - the template didn't take any characteristics of the site (no plugins and not the theme)
    - I couldn't access the template

Should I supply some screenshots? is there anything else that I can do to help with this?

Thanks for your time and responses.

Philip

• phifraphofum

Hey folks -

I've included a few screenshots to help this along. I'm confused about a few things and want to make sure that I'm expressing it clearly:

The network admin site looks like the first jpeg "Network-admin"

I then click on "my sites" and the site that I want to become a forum with the blogs and I get this: "Blog template" screenshot

I go into my cpanel to upload the correct plugins and I see that they're all in! "cpanel_ss"

I'm sure that this is key to figuring things out but I'm not totally sure what it is.

• phifraphofum

Hello -

Ran the debugger and I got these notices:
    Notice: A session had already been started - ignoring session_start() in /home/engmfra7/public_html/stonewall/wp-content/plugins/comments-plus/lib/class_wdcp_model.php on line 44

Notice: Undefined index: wdcp_google_user_cache in /home/engmfra7/public_html/stonewall/wp-content/plugins/comments-plus/lib/class_wdcp_model.php on line 63

Notice: Undefined index: wdcp_twitter_user_cache in /home/engmfra7/public_html/stonewall/wp-content/plugins/comments-plus/lib/class_wdcp_model.php on line 87

Notice: register_sidebar_widget is deprecated since version 2.8! Use wp_register_sidebar_widget() instead. in /home/engmfra7/public_html/stonewall/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3467

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

the register_sidebar_widget is not a plugin, its a function that has been depreciated now. It might be used in any of the plugins or maybe the theme.

If you have updated all your plugins see the functions.php of your theme and search for "register_sidebar_widget" to see if its referenced anywhere

:slight_smile:

• phifraphofum

I guess an obvious question is: would Wordpress tell me that it is out of date? Because I included screenshots that are showing me that nothing is out of date.

If something is throwing an error that doesn't affect the fact that I can't create a website, I don't want to go down that dead end.

Instead, I would like to focus the incredible time and attention you both are giving me to resolve being seemingly 95% complete project.

I can't find anyone else noting this issue. I'm thinking my next step would be to reinstall, but the documentation is out of date too.

Ideas? Please?

• phifraphofum

OK. Did some more searching. Can I pose a question?

My regular site is engmgt.com
    The site that i'm testing this whole experience on: the idea above - is being tested on stonewall.engmgt.com

The create a new site plugin was literally creating a subdomain of a subdomain. I looked at the PHPmy admin and the wp_blogs table only seems to list the subdomain and not the subdomain of a subdomain. Is that what is breaking things do you think?

So close. Soooo close!

• phifraphofum

OK! But would it still work when I do this and it's not sub sub?

So I'm testing it in the subdomain. I'll preview it with the client and then transfer this whole hot mess over to their domain!

Will the same configuration work or should I resort back to the original set up suggested by Arun.

Seriously I'm so excited I'm going to hurl. We're on the precipe of amazing things.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello Philip,

This thread has become too long and sort of old, I can't figure out where we are now, sorry.

Could you please open a new thread and explain the trouble you are going through please? That will help us help you better and direct this one to the proper developer if needed (a dev who comes in here would be so confused at the moment).

Hope you understand. Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.