Pop Over error

Installed as follows:

1. ftp files to /wp-content/plugins
2. Activate plugin
3. ftp files to /wp-content/mu-plugins

the popover.php when added to mu-plugins causes the whole admin backend to give error messages. If removed fixes the problem.

will the plugin funtion if its not in the mu-plugins dir also?

thanks

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi look4,

The plugin actually only needs to reside in one or the other of those folders. If you're on a multisite and you want the popover to persist from site to site with the main settings you define, you would install it in mu-plugins. Otherwise, to have it be customizable on a site-by-site basis, you'd want to install it in the plugins folder.

You just wouldn't want to have a copy in both of the folders at the same time. Could you give that a try, removing the plugin from one of those folders?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Not really. It all depends on the particular plugin. Most of the multisite plugins provided here would just go in the regular plugin folder. If you have any questions regarding a particular plugin though, please feel free to ask and we'll do our best to clarify. :slight_smile:

Oh, just wanted to check also, is the Popover plugin working for you now?

• look4
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

if i remove it from /plugins then it shows in plugins a message to say it is deactivated as it is missing in files and goes all together
    i have tried it in just /mu-plugins it doesnt work that way.

My site seems to be very slow with all these plugsin installed

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

i have tried it in just /mu-plugins it doesnt work that way.

What directory path do you have to the popover.php file?

In plugins it should be:
    wp-content/plugins/popover/popover.php

In mu-plugins it should be:
    wp-content/mu-plugins/popover.php

Note the missing popover directory in the second path.

• look4

Could you guys give me an idea of how to achieve this without destroying functionality due to slow loading speeds:

I want a site where i can offer:

Community (buddypress/forums/etc
    Shopping
    Classifieds
    Different of blogs - so free, and feature rich
    Ability to use /subdomains or own domains
    Network wide information exchange/updates

I have installed what i think would achieve this or am in the process of doing so but its very sluggish speeds

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Do you have any caching on the server currently? It really does help things along. But buddypress itself can be quite a drain on server resources, so that and all the others are certainly likely to slow things down a bit.
    Have a look at wp-super-cache or w3 total cache initially, try installing them and see if that helps any with page loads.

Is it slow on the front end, admin side or both?

• look4

Slow front end and say registering etc.. very slow to create users/blogs and navi between pages.

I have just requested my hosts to install Memcache and also Xcache or e-accelerator as per your advice.

i think ive got like 70+ plugins running! =O

Is that too many?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

70 - yep I'd say it may be time to trim the fat a bit there, can you find some plugins that might do multiple jobs and then you can get the number down a bit?

Remember, on every page load (and with multi-site - image load) your server is loading WP *and* all 70 plugins and their associated files. On a typical page with maybe 10 images, that is a lot of server processing going on.

• look4

ok i think what i will do is deactivate all plugins and slowly work them up 1 by 1,

Is there a way to do similar to edublogs, and offer say using supporter some select users more of the features and others just the basics,

im basically making something for charities i help, so most of them just need the basics but then some want more functions and i want to be able to provide them that also.

I know it sounds all hippy and stuff but hey someones got to do the work in the third sector :slight_smile:

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Supporter is quite handy as it only loads and runs the supporter "premium" plugins when the site is a supporter - so say you have 100 sites and only 30 or so are supporters, then 70% of the time the extra plugins are not loaded so things are a bit faster server wise.

Edublogs actually uses the supporter plugin that is available from here (wpmudev), then a lot of our other plugins have the option to be set as supporter only. So it may be worth having a look at that.

• look4

Could you advise roughly what kind of plugin scheme i should look to deploy for functionality similar to edublogs then as that seems to be a very good role model.

Start with i was thinking

1. Buddypress + forums
    2. Community
    3. Supporter

whats the difference between membership and supporter?

supporter is for blogs? membership for users?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Aaron may be able to correct me here but Edublogs doesn't use BuddyPress - that can be a huge resource hogger, so if you don't need a lot of its features then it may be worthwhile skipping that. Or if you want a social aspect and the forums then consider only having it running on a main site, and have the blogs running from another trimmed down install with supporter and other plugins.

• look4

As far as the social aspect goes, the thought process was as follows either:

1. A central site, all users/blogs would feed into and be the "hub"
    2. A distributed system where all users on their respective blog/sites would be able to keep in contact across the network of sites, and see what was going on in terms of updates.

say there are 10 blogs and 1 main site:

users can see activity on all sites or engage in discussion so lets say there is a marketplaces on 4 of those sites, it is visable to all 10 or wiki or directory etc

Thats how i was thinking of it

• look4

What directory path do you have to the popover.php file?
    In plugins it should be:
    wp-content/plugins/popover/popover.php
    In mu-plugins it should be:
    wp-content/mu-plugins/popover.php
    Note the missing popover directory in the second path.

This is exactly as i have it just the popover.php in the mu-plugins root and no folder in there still does the same thing

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya look4,

Any further developments. It's been about a week, so I'm gonna mark this one as resolved for now. If you want to troubleshoot further or have other questions, please don't hesitate to reopen this thread or start up a new one.

We're glad to help!

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.