Popovers plugin not working

Hello,

The Pop Up! plugin is not working at all; I've been having consistent problems with it, and all customers and affiliates from each country regarding geo-targeting conditions indicate that they've never seen it; even after detailed instruction on trying each browser, deleting their cache, and having us set the number of displays to 100.

For a while the issue was our cdn, but now nothing shows up at all. Any help greatly appreciated.

There doesn't seem to be a plugin like this for Wordpress that works; I've bought them all, and this one comes the closest. It'd be really great to get some support and have these awesome features working. Thanks!

• artcomp123
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Mason,

Yes, here is a screenshot of the settings (attached).

I did try the test head footer plugin; it said there was no header or footer,but then I manually checked, and both are present in header.php and footer.php, respectively.

One item that may be worth noting is that the website uses Woo Commerce, and this plugin calls its' own additional headers, so the close of /head in header looks like this:

<?php woo_head(); ?>
    <?php wp_head(); ?>
    </head>

And the same with the footer:

<?php woo_foot(); ?>
    <?php wp_footer(); ?>
    </body>
    </html>

Thank you!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Thanks for that.

So, for the popup to show up, you'd need to be a visitor in Brazil and been to the site under 100 times.

Can you remove the country rule and see if things work as expected? If things work consistently for us, we'll then know it has to do with the country rule.

Thanks!

• artcomp123

Hello,

Thank you for the replies.

Mason,

Disabling the CDN does not seem to have an effect, but I will try a hard purge first, then de-activate it, and see if that does anything.

Barry,
    For http://api.hostip.info/country.php, it returns: 'xx' for iOS, Android, Windows XP, Windows 7, and MacOSX 10.6.8. These were all performed in the US, on one shared connection. All users of the site from US as well as different countries that we've asked have indicated that geo-targeting is not working for them, though.

Note: pecl extensions and varnish are installed on this server.

Thanks guys for helping me work through this.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

it returns: 'xx' for iOS, Android, Windows XP, Windows 7, and MacOSX 10.6.8

That means that the API we are using for geotargetting doesn't know where your IP is based and would be why it is failing for the geo-targetting rule.

All users of the site from US as well as different countries that we've asked have indicated that geo-targeting is not working for them, though

If they are all returning XX for the url I posted then the reason is the same unfortunately.

If you look at the popoverincludes/includes/config.php file there is a setting in there that you can set to a country code if there is a problem with the api called PO_DEFAULT_COUNTRY. If you set this to a country code then you can have the system assume that any xx countries are in a specific location.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings artcomp123,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings artcomp123,

Thank you for your additional input and I can point out what Barry was trying to tell, that Geo targeting is only as good as the database in which it has to consult.

You can check all the names and numbers places (Arin, Ripe, Lacnic, Apnic, Afrinic) like I have in the recent past building firewalls professionally and they are right about 80% of the time and they have a disclaimer to let them out of their own incompetency.

That is the problem because it is the only databases we have to go by but doing trace routing shows the incompetence and incorrect IP assignments or more accurately country labeling.

Therefore what Barry was trying to say in so many words is that if an IP does not exist in the database or it is not correct, it is not the plugin itself.

Hopefully that clarifies the issue and the reason why it exists, the keepers of the IP databases make mistakes and sometimes really big ones at that.

Cheers, Joe

• artcomp123

Hello,

I've been unable to find a competing plugin anywhere for geo-targeted popup content, is it possible to receive premium support on this to get it working? Is there any service that can be purchased?

I've had many people confirm that it doesn't work - we haven't been testing with only one computer or anything. Naturally, people from many countries have tried for us, and no geo-targeted popups occur at all.

Thank you for your time with this.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Do you have an IP addresses that are failing? As I stated earlier in this thread, we are reliant on an external database to return the country of your visitors, so if this isn't up to date or accurate, then it will return incorrect information - so it isn't actually the plugin that is at issue, it's or geo-targetting source.

Now - we are (I am) looking at building in other sources for geo-targetting, one or two can be used now by changing a setting in the plugins configuration file, but If you can pop over a few IP addresses that you know are not working, and the countries they are supposed to be in, then I can check them with the other sources - rather than just giving you a list of places that will produce the same information.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings of the day.

I was doing a regular followup today and found that we missed your last post on this one.

Are you still seeking support on this one ? Please let us know so that we can take it further and assist you on the same :slight_smile:

Thanks for being a great community member !

Cheers
    PC

• artcomp123

Hello,

Yes still the same issues :slight_frown: - is there a way I can give wp-admin so someone can see this live on the site?There is another thread going just to get the PopUps showing up correctly as well, but geo-targeting is not working either. Thanks guys.

• artcomp123

Thanks Barry for the reply.

I'm currently on 76.111.94.98 in the US, and the PopOver works. - for other countries, I have to correspond with friends/colleagues, so it'll take me a bit to get the info together again.

For example, I've re-activated Australia, with 'In a specific country'
    and 'Visitor is not logged in' as the only rules.

I'll update as soon as I hear back from folks in Canada and France.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi thanks, yeah some ISPs / countries update the global db's better than others, so any that return XX will be the most useful in tracking down the most regularly updated database - even if we have to recommend people use different ones based on their visitor demographics, it may help.

• artcomp123

Thanks Barry

Update: Got responses from a few countries (Canada and Spain)

24.222.43.239 - Canada - only shows the USA popup
    90.163.60.69 - Spain - only shows the USA popup

(I've de-activated the USA popup by client request for now)

• artcomp123

Hey Joe,

Yeah, still no dice with it. I've since de-activated the plugin, and had to code a simple static popup, with a couple uri referrers

I've also been searching for another popup plugin, and there doesn't seem to be one that includes geo-targeted content. Even popups from referrers, while it's something I've coded before, would be really great to see all working together in this plugin.

It's a shame we couldn't get it working!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings artcomp123,

Thank you for your kind and informative reply and you are absolutely spot on that it is a shame that we have not to date gotten this handled.

Hopefully the lead developer comes up with a workable solution sooner then later.

Thanks again.

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings artcomp123,

Thank you for your extreme demonstrated patience and I am sorry that this has not been resolvable after all this time.

It is clearly something to do with the accuracy of the database used to track IP's or that is at least my honest opinion after sorting IP blocks manually for years.

I once again hope he makes it in here sooner then later on regarding this issue.

Cheers, Joe

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The first IP address you listed is now showing as CA for canada, the second however is returning XX which means that the system we are using for the geotargeting doesn't know where that IP address is located.

http://api.hostip.info/country.php?ip=90.163.60.69

As I mentioned earlier, we are pretty much reliant on external databases to give us the information about the countries relating to the IP addresses as it would be impossible for us to build this type of database ourself.

The first IP should be working, but if it has changed recently then it may be stored in the IP address cache that the plugin builds up as it is used. Do you have access to your database (via something like phpmyadmin)? If so I can tell you the table to check and see if that is the case and we'll be able to confirm if it was previously set as XX or US.

I've got another drop geotarget URL you can use if you want to try that database instead, so I'll post it here when I get back to my development machine.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @artcomp123

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.