Popup not positioning, no border, no close button

First off let me thank you guys for running such an amazing service.. I came here for this plugin alone but I ended up taking the entire membership because of how amazing of a service you guys run here, so first and foremost thank you for that.

Now as I mentioned I came here for this plugin alone and of course I'm just assuming everyone's development experience is the same as I mine in which absolultely nothing works perfectly on the first try.. This plugin is no exception, but like I said after 10 years of doing this I just expect this kind of thing.

So you can head over to http://www.drrosebackman.com and see the popup in action. Although if you actually want to see it you'll have to scroll to the very bottom of the page. You'll notice that it's obviously not 'popping up' or popping over, or whatever the kids are calling it these days. Not only that but there's no nice pretty border around with with a cute little X to close it.

I haven't modified the plugin in any way, I've tried this on multiple themes, I've disabled all minify and caching plugins. Please help!

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello Rose,

Welcome to WPMU Dev! and thanks for all the compliments and feedback :slight_smile:

Also appreciate the background work you have done there, disabling plugins, trying out themes :slight_smile:

I could exactly replicate the way your pop-up looked like. I wasn't able to crack this one. I will ask Barry to help us out.

Arun Basil Lal

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

There are *a lot* of javascript errors on that site, to the point that my firebug stopped reporting when it got to 458 of them. If you can fix the js errors, then the js to move the popover will be able to be called.

fifopost_bFadeOutt is not defined
    [Break On This Error]

if (fifopost_bFadeOutt) {

fade-i...itle.js (line 46)
    [Break On This Error]

[Break On This Error]

[Break On This Error]

[Break On This Error]

• unc0nnected
    • Flash Drive

Well if that's the way it worked we'd be seeing every other javascript on the site behaving erratically as well but it isn't. Plus you aren't seeign 458 individual errors, you're seeing one repeating itself over and over again as it's trying cycle through it's functions.

Either way I disabled the plugin that was causing those errors and the issue persisted.

To take it one step further I installed your popover plugin on a completely different blog(with a completelyi different set of plugins and themes and everything else) and the exact same thing happened. Lower left hand corner, borderless white box with my text in it. This other blog was running WP not WPMU to boot.

This led me to believe it might be something to do with the server setup however I decided to take my experimentation one step further and install this plugin on yet another blog on a completely different server running ubuntu instead of debian, php52 instead of 5.3, yet another completeliy new set of plugins and themes and still the problem is identical as to the original blog. You can see it at the bottom of this page:
    http://ryanwiancko.com/ (that's me btw, I just run Rose's site)

So very different blogs, themes, plugins and even server environments and the problem persists. At this point the one common thing all of these blogs have is this plugin so the most logical assumption we can make is that there is a problem with it somewhere. Nothing is showing up in the error logs, I have tried to adjust the perms on the files to 755, 644 and 777 with no avai. I've tried this in chrome, opera and firefox/iceweasel and the interesting thing to note is that on the ryanwiancko.com blog the white box doesn't show up in firefox but it does in chrome and opera. However in firefox the white box with all the content appears at the bottom of the page just the same as it did in chrome and opera.

I am a very experienced server administrator with root access to the first server so feel free to throw all sorts of suggestions my way as to how I can help you guys narrow down where the problem is occuring. I just want this fixed. Thanks

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Well if that's the way it worked we'd be seeing every other javascript on the site behaving erratically as well but it isn't.

With javascript errors it often is, but unfortunately my debuging software (firebug) won't show any other errors that could be causing the issue because it stops recording them at around 500, so I can't see if it is anything else as well.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The previous version of popover uses a slightly different method of displaying the popover - can you try that version and see if that makes any difference? It's still reliant on js for the positioning though.
    Or you could try manually entering the positions in the pop over edit form and see if it shows in the correct place then, that would definitely allow us to narrow it down to a js problem rather than a files missing / other problem.

• unc0nnected
    • Flash Drive

Alrighty.. Well I first tried the last version of 3.x and that didn't work but then I loaded up 4.1 and presto! it works.

So what does that tell us? Where do you think the problem lies? Would be nice to have the option to update this plugin down the road

Thanks for your help btw, I didn't even know that previous versions were online or else I would have tired that first thing.. Smart thinking on your guys' part

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.