Popup or popover v4 not displaying on my home page + destroyed by update

Hi,

I upgraded to V4 of the PopOver plugin on my Network theme site.

1). My existing popover was lost.

2). It no longer appears on my Hone Page. This is not a minor problem as it displayed a Disclaimer which is now gone.

3). Positioning/size/content is a problem. This may be my caching, but I have yet to get the popover to move or resize. Oddly enough, it is now different on different pages in content, position and size. It seems that different versions of the popovers are being displayed on first visit to a page I get the latest version of the popover. I’m seeing different generations of the popover on different pages. Deleted cache, cleared browser cache.

When I enable the test head foot ad-on I get this msg:

Your active theme:

Is missing the call to <?php wp_head(); ?> which should appear directly before </head>

Has the call to <?php wp_footer(); ?> but it is not called directly before </body>

Regards,

Larry

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Larry

Hope you’re doing well.

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear that you lots your data with the upgrade. How exactly did you do the upgrade (via WP Admin Panel or FTP)? Any chance you kept a backup before the upgrade?

It would be helpful to have a look at the code on the wp_head and wp_footer theme files. Someone had a similar problem on here and it was fixed with a small update to the Plugin. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/pop-up-plugin-note-working-at-all

If you can also send me a screenshot of your Pop Up settings page and also let me know what permissions you’ve set up, please.

Have a good day and I look forward to getting your feedback and helping you sort out this problem. I’ve also flagged the Developer for feedback and possible solutions.

If you require any further assistance with any other topic/ plugin, please don’t hesitate to be in touch.

Gina :: Multiplicity

Trying out as WPMU DEV Support Staff – Let me know how I go

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

I upgraded form the network admin panel.

Yes, I had a backup copy.

I will check out my header & footer.php in my child theme, they may be old. But I have no idea at this point if I need that module enabled. I tried it just to see if it would get me a popover on my home page.

I've attached a screen shot of the the popover config. Slowly, I'm seeing results:

– It is now displaying on my home page

– the position is still moving around from page to page.

– the backgroung color is displaying

– The text color has not taken effect.

Larry

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Larry

Thank you for the feedback and the snippets of code. Glad that you’re making progress, regardless of whether it’s slow. Slow is sometimes better :slight_smile:

Just to confirm, are you using the WPMU DEV Network Theme (https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/network-theme)? I noticed you’re talking about a child theme and then a scholar theme.

From the piece of code that I can see, you should move the wp_head() to the line just above </head>

and <?php wp_footer(); ?> to just above </body>. This should fix the problem for you.

Let me know if this information was helpful.

Have a good day!

GinaB

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

My existing popover was lost.

The new plugin uses a new structure, but detects if you have an existing popover and offers you the choice at the top of the popover page to transfer the old one over to the new format.

Is missing the call to <?php wp_head(); ?> which should appear directly before </head>

If this is missing from your theme, then the popover will not display with that theme – you need to add it in to the header.php.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

If that header and footer change is a requirement then it the Scholar Theme may need to be updated to reflect this. I’ve made the update on both child and parent. It is still complaining about the header change.

Hmm, why would my site be using cookies?

Larry

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hmm, why would my site be using cookies?

Everytime a popover is shown (or attempted to be shown) it updates a cookie on the users browser with the count, that is how the “don’t show more than x times” condition works.

I’ve just updated the plugin to version 4.1 which fixes some issues and adds some functionality.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

There must be a way of deleteing just the one cookie….could thsi be getting ih the way of fixing this error message:

Since I can’t get rid of this error, when I upgrade I will loose my current popovers. My first step is to figure out why this error message will not go away. This is what my child & parent theme header code looks like.

});

});

</script>

<?php wp_head(); ?>

</head>

Larry

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

I still see this message even tho I have updated the header.php.

Your active theme:

I saved everything and upgraded to the latest popover and …. no problem. My popover was not lost.

Larry

• Allison Lounes
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

OK, so I’m using the BP Daily Theme on Multisite and I’m having the same problem. I activated the testheadfooter and got the same message about the <?php wp_head();?> and footer, so I went into the network theme editor and moved those two lines to right before the </head> and </body> tags.

However, I’m still getting the same message from testheadfooter showing that those two lines are still misplaced (even though they no longer are) and my popup still isn’t working.

The popup is showing up as a gray line and then black text (the javascript code from aweber) on a white background.

Site is http://www.blog.parisunraveled.com

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The popup is showing up as a gray line and then black text (the javascript code from aweber) on a white background.

The current version of the popover won’t run javascript within the popover itself, which is probably why you aren’t getting any content in there.

To get it working for now, you could place the aweber javascript somewhere else, view it in a browser and get the HTML for the form and place that in the popover, or downgrade your popover to version 4.3.2 which uses a different loading method.

We should have javascript running in the popover again pretty soon, as we have a big update for it coming.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

If you mean the message from the testheaderfooter addon, then you can disable that addon now that the popover is showing and it will go away.

It could be getting confused with extra carriage returns and spaces, but as long as you have both of the calls in your theme then you will be fine.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

I was going to add a Screenshot but it won’t let me. I don’t know where it comes from, but I get this on my Dashboard:

Your active theme:

Theme: BP-Scholar.

It does not seem to hurt anything, I just ignore it.

Larry

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.