Portfolio function broken after DNS reconfig

Hi there, I recently finalised my website and reconfigured the domain and everything is working as it should except that none of the portfolio pages are reachable. The content is still visible via the back end, but all return 404 errors when opened.

I have tried to rename the portfolio slug, but this doesn't appear to help. It seems as though there is a page naming conflict now that my site's primary domain is no longer ytm.wpmudev.host, but youthere.media.

If you could take a look at this for me, I'd be grateful.

  • Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

    Hello Laurence

    I hope you’re well today!

    When a domain is changed (set as “primary”:wink: we attempt to update it in site configuration, following WP rules/tools. However, sometimes there might be some unchanged references to old domain left, especially if there are things like active cache, some more complex/custom plugins etc.

    It seems that there are still such references in the database so please try this:

    1) Clear all caches on site and Flush Cache on server (in “Tools” tab of “Hosting” section)

    2) use “Better Search Replace” plugin to try to update all “old domain” references to the new one (there’s a “dry run” option in the plugin too so you can test it first)

    https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-search-replace/

    3) once that’s done, re-save permalink (no need to make any changes, just re-save as they are)

    4) clear all caches and flush cache on server again

    This should fix the issue but in case it didn’t solve it, let us know, please and we’ll investigate it further.

    Best regards,

    Adam

  • Laurence
    • New Recruit

    Hi Adam, and thanks for the suggestions. Object cache has been flushed, and running a search/replace using the Better Search Replace plugin (search “ytm.wpmudev.host” replace “youthere.media”:wink: on all the tables in the list returned 0 results. Issue remains unchanged.

    If it’s of any use, I’ve noticed the following behaviours:

    Using the “Edit in WPBakery” option for a portfolio entry returns a 404, while using the standard WP “Edit” link reveals the original content is intact.

    Creating a new portfolio entry is allowed, and preview of the page while in Draft works. But the moment the portfolio entry is published, it returns a 404

    Adding the theme’s (Werkstatt) portfolio elements to a page with default settings returns a ‘no items found’ error. But creating a portfolio Build Query to find “portfolio” post types returns the required results.

    It’s all very odd. I’m assuming that you can gain access to the site and host via the backend – you certainly have my permission to poke around as much as you need to.

  • Laurence
    • New Recruit

    Hi again,

    Spent a while randomly flipping switches and pulling levers without really understanding the outcomes, and something seems to have worked – it may have been that I failed to properly follow your first instructions, or it may have been that I removed the Hummingbird plug-in entirely and then re-installed.

    Either way, the issue seems to have cleared. Thanks for your assistance!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.