Possible Bug: MarketPress Thumbnail routines not respecting S3 creating unnecessary slow images

I have the Amazon S3 plugin for image storage. Works great with every plugin and theme (now including Upfront so thanks for that)

Reviewing the performance issues with MarketPress and noticing that:

- Shopping cart Thumbnails are using S3
- When clicking on a main image, the lightbox image is S3 (unfortunately its the raw image which can be very very big)

--- What's being created by MarketPress ---

For the variations, MarketPress is RE-CREATING images that already exist...wtf...

MarketPress is then using the product variation images as:
- The images in the grid of products for a category (using more queries, bad performance, confusing user control of what image is starting representative image...cause it shouldn't be a forced variation image)
- The images in the grid of related products (using more queries, bad performance, confusing user control of what image is starting representative image...cause it shouldn't be a forced variation image)
- The starting image when NO product variations have been selected in a product detail view (using more queries, bad performance, confusing user control of what image is starting representative image...cause it shouldn't be a forced variation image)

- The image being used for main image on a product view
- The images used in a grid of images when viewing a category
- The images used in a grid of related products when viewing a product

So a couple things here:
1. Featured image should remain an option for users, and if that is used it should be the image in the grid of images, the image used in related products, and for the main image in a product detail before a variation is picked.

Why this is important:
Performance, Allows user to choose the main image...doesn't make sense the way it is now.

2. Extra local thumbnails are being created for product variations.
a. It seems like the thumbnails that are being recreated many times already exist, so the checking if the image exist isn't working
b. If another thumbnail is being created the image needs to respect the S3 plugin.

I hope we can take these issues a little more seriously...these are some major problems I believe that need to be resolved asap. Thanks!