Possible bug? Social Marketing strange behavior when direct install (not via dashboard)

I installed social marketing by uploading it to a site (not via the WPMU dashboard). Once installed, and activated, I get a message that it needs upgrade.

The weird thing is when I clicked to upgrade, it actually installed a completely different plugin from a different author!!! and gave this URL as the plugin page: URL: http://wordpress.org/plugins/socialmarketing/

How did this happen?

I never even visited this plugin let alone download or use it!!!

Regards,

Sami

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Sami,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

I can confirm this isn't a bug, once we released our Social Marketing plugin, another different plugin was released by someone else but used the same plugin name.

This means that it now shows it has an update, when it doesn't because of that.

To get around this, you can install our WPMU DEV dashboard plugin :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sami
    • Flash Drive

Hello again @@Jack Kitterhing,

Hmmmm I see. Thanks for the explanation, but honestly I still think this is very confusing.

I do not want to install the dashboard on every single test project I am working with (not until we are ready and happy that all plugins are working OK together). In this case, I installed the file and found its asking for an update... Naturally I updated to ensure I have the latest only to find that I have a completely different plugin installed...

There must be something you guys can do to prevent this type of scenario from happening...?

Thanks again.
    Regards,

Sami

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Sami,

Hope you're well today :slight_smile:

It certainly is confusing and I do agree with that, unfortunately though there isn't much else we could do with cases like this as it would require a re-brand of the whole plugin and all documentation etc.

That's why we created the WPMU DEV dashboard to stop situations like this in those types of cases :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sami
    • Flash Drive

Hello again @Jack Kitterhing,

Just a thought, how about just adding WPMUDev-plugin name to the official plugin names. This way:
    1- No need to re-brand any documentation or the plugin (simply adding the sitename)
    2- It is easier to find the plugins from wpmudev in the list :wink:
    3- will avoid issues like this one with others releasing plugins with identical names and causing confusion.

Just my thoughts...

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Sami

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.