Possible To Assign Page/Post Templates Per Level?

Is it possible to include Page (built in to Wordpress) and/or Post (available through use of a plugin such as Custom Post Templates) templates in the list of items that can be controlled through Pro Sites? Page and Post templates are an alternative to full theme development and can be created for specific functions, such as a webinar page, a client portal, a coaching form, etc.

If so, how?

If not, can you think of a workaround, or jury rigged solution?

Thanks,
Kirk

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey again Kirk,

Thanks for the question, if you go to:

Pro Sites > Modules.

Then you will see a page/posts quota module. You can use this to limit the number of posts allowed per post type. So if you don't want the first level to have access to certain post types you can just limit them to 1 as a teaser.

Alternatively, you could setup a New Blog Template that has several post types already created through a Custom Post Types plugin but protect that plugin to a certain level so unless the new user upgrades they won't be able to activate the Custom Post Types plugin in order to reveal the post types you've pre-created :slight_smile:

Personally, I think the second option is the better one here. We actually have a custom post types plugin you might be interested in too: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/

Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Kirk,

Sorry about that, I see what you mean. The same "premium plugin" method like above should still work. You limit the WP custom post template plugin so they can't activate it unless they have a certain pro level. Would that work for you? Unless you're wanting to protect the templates that come with your themes as well? In that case, it would require further development. You might want to hire a developer if that is the case. I do think it's a cool idea though and I'll add it to our features and feedback area.

Any further questions just let us know!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

Hi Tyler,

And, thanks for the feedback.

I had already thought of that limit, however, the templates scheme I wish to implement would have multiple levels of templates, and the plugin would release them all at one time.

If your developers do choose to implement the scheme, Simon Wheatley's plugin hasn't been updated in awhile, and still works well for me. Might give you some ideas about activating the feature for posts. However, since templates are natively available for pages, limiting the scheme to page templates might be simpler to implement.

Cheers,
    Kirk

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.