Possible to create Upfront themes from scratch?

I've installed Upfront and the apparent child themes: Fixer, Scribe and Spirit. After installing these, it appears that I can only apply and customize the three child themes and that Upfront itself must be a support theme facilitating the others... unless it is possible to create new themes from scratch that I'm not seeing?

Is it somehow possible to design a site from scratch with Upfront without starting from one of these base themes?

Further, can you direct me to some documentation that can answer various usage questions? So far my experience with Headway seems a little more intuitive vs what we have here with Upfront, but I suspect that I am missing some key understanding here at the beginning of my efforts with it.

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @ylluminate,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

The Upfront is a parent theme for all other child themes like Fixer, Scribe and Spirit. You should never edit the parent theme but the child theme as changes made in the parent theme file will be overwritten and lost when you update the theme and you will have to make these changes again after theme updation.

You can create a child theme from the scratch for upfront parent theme without using any built in child themes.

Find more information about the child and parent theme on the following pages.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-create-wordpress-child-theme/

You will find the documentation about the usage of the themes like Scribe theme on the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/scribe/#usage

Here's the direct link to the pdf documentation file.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Upfront_guide.pdf

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• ylluminate
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for that PDF. The help / doc links within Upfront don't seem to work so that's helpful.

So you're saying that an Upfront child theme is created more or less the same way that a standard WP child theme is created? I was hoping for a little more completeness as far as creating new child themes go and what all is involved. There is no deeper documentation than the PDF you shared?

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey @ylluminate

Sorry the response took a while longer than expected. Appreciate your patience
    Looks like @Vinod is really busy, I'm gonna take the liberty of chipping in here.

So you're saying that an Upfront child theme is created more or less the same way that a standard WP child theme is created?

While it is technically possible to do so, it just won't be as nice an experience as you will get when doing that with the Upfront Builder plugin which is coming really soon.

If you can imagine the Current Upfront experience, but with the ability to output the result into a series of php / css files (UF theme) that can be given to anyone to install and enjoy

You would have to manually create those page templates etc with code. You have to make sure to include various css classes that upfront requires and so on. So really, the best thing in my opinion, would be to simply wait for the Builder launch.

Hope that helps

Cheers
    Jude

• Flexinoodle
    • The Incredible Code Injector

So is that a yes ?
    You gave up on create a builder plugin ?
    Just trying to work out my options here, Marketpress has no themes and upfront is pretty poor right now with Marketpress.
    I think i should invest my time with a different commerce plugin that is better supported.
    (Sorry i am no css or php coder, so have to choose things wisely)

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

We are still supporting Upfront and releasing updates. The instructions provided on the link will walk you through the setup of a blank template, you don't need to know PHP or CSS for this.

In general, most themes do not come ready out of the box for every situation, so it is good to know some CSS whether for our products or other products. Upfront allows you to do most things via drag and drop which does not require any coding. We would be more than happy to help you with a CSS issue if you request our help. :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.