Possible to have different layout for different areas of website?

Grid market works great for displaying the product we have for sale, but isn't as customizable as we'd like for the other content we'd like to have. Any suggestions for a site that also needs forums and static content?

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @dValkyrie

This may be disabled or overridden in FrameMarket, but in a standard WordPress install, you can usually create a custom template and use it on pages. That template can be totally different from the theme of your remaining website pages or it can have as many of the components of it as you'd like to have.

Maybe someone here that is familiar with doing this with FrameMarket can comment as to whether it can be done or not. I've got a document on how to do it with a regular WordPress theme - it's old - but if it can be done in FrameMarket, I'd be happy to hook you up with it.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @dValkyrie

Thank you for posting here and being a member of our Community!

I agree with Mark on this - a multisite would probably suit your requirements better. You can read more about Multisites here: WordPress Multisite

James is also correct. You can create custom page templates, so if you are thinking of doing that we can provide some guidance for that (as far as our scope of support allows us).

That being said, I would be happy to assist with any multisite or FrameMarket question you have. Please ask away and we'll do our level best to answer all of it :slight_smile:

Have a great day and talk soon again.

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @JamesDunn

I would also like to see that document :slight_smile: Always interesting to see different takes on how things can be done.

Please share, if you don't mind. You know my email address right?

Hi @MTB1701

Great to see you on this topic. Always a pleasure :slight_smile:

Have a great day everyone!

Gina

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @Gina and @MTB1701

I'm "cleaning up" that document and will get it to you in a day or two. I read over it today, went through the process using the steps as written and saw a couple of areas I could clarify - so I'm going to take care of that before sending it to you.

Gina, I think I've figured out the protocol for WPMUDev members, so I should know your email address. BTW, did you change your username? Or are you different from GinaB?

Talk soon.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

@JamesDunn

Smiling right now :slight_smile: Same young me, just changed the nickname from GinaB to Gina so it's easier for people. B is short for my surname... And new gravatar to go with the new site.

Regarding my email address. You should be able to pick it up from my user profile.

I look forward to seeing your document. You have a great way of explaining things, so it will be interesting to see the guide.

All the best!

Gina

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Hey @Gina.

I figured the "B" was for your surname. I sign JDD lots of times instead of my full name - just easier.

You are correct - "Young". All of you make me feel older all the time. I've got too many years and too many miles around computers I guess.

Anyway, I'm considering turning this into a WPMU.org post as well. Once I send it to you, I'd like to get your opinion as to whether it might have value to that community.

Talk soon.

JDD

• dValkyrie
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi James,

I would love to have a copy of the document. It's difficult when you have the image of what you want in your head, but you don't have the skillset to make it work with a new system. :slight_smile: I'm familiar with some HTML so it's not completely over my head, but a little hand-holding never hurt.

Back to reading the Wordpress for dummies book. lol

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @dValkyrie

Have fun reading. I got started doing websites after my hubby gave me the 'Websites for Dummies' book years ago. So not at all a bad thing to read through those.

@JamesDunn

Have a great day and look forward to receive your follow up email :slight_smile:

Gina

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Folks,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being WPMU Dev Community Members!

Cheers, Joe

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @aecnu

Actually, it's not "completely" resolved because @JamesDunn has laid down on this and not gotten the document checked and polished for people. However, I'll be working on it this week. Been working on a larger post for WPMU.org this past week.

Talk soon.

JDD

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.