Possible to provide 1 free article or selective limited access to protected content?

I am currently running Membership 2 Pro on a site, and make it so users have to pay to for access to certain content.

I'm wondering if there is a way to give users the option to have 1 free article? Either through a limited membership in M2P or maybe in the PayPerView plugin with maybe a freebie option in there? (but limited to 1 per person/email address).

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can pull this off?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Pam,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I think you could for example enable a 1 day trial period for any given membership. This will not open a single article but instead give a full access for a single day though. Another idea would be to create an additional membership. Here's how I see it:

- create a new "Drip content" members named e.g. "Trial: 1 article instant access"
    - set it as free
    - enable "Multiple memberships" add on for Membership 2 so users would be able to join more than one membership at the time
    - in "Protection Rules" set single, selected article to be revelad to user upon signup

You could this way let them access one article selected by your.

I understand however that you'd like to let non-members users give access to a single article that they'd select and all other members registered with Membership 2 Pro would have their access as defined. Is that correct or do you protect your articles other way (e.g. with other plugin)? Please advise!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Pam

Hi Adam,
      Thanks so much for your reply.
      At the moment I'm protecting content on the site using Membership Pro 2 but couldn't see how I could give free access to one article - of their choice (which as you spotted is the challenge) - using the MP2 plugin.
      I had thought perhaps one of the other WPMUDev plugins might be able to do it - thus the question.
      I can't allow a single day access as that would give crafty people more than enough time to go through and save all of the info from the site (which is paid membership only)... so you see my dilemma.
      Any ideas?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Pam,

Unfortunately something like this is not possible with M2 plugin and it would require some additional coding to make it work.

M2 does come with API documentation that could help you out here, you can find it under Membership 2 > Help panel.

If you need to customize this then you can post a job in our job board where you can hire a developer to assist further:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/
    Please note that, no WPMU official staff members are allowed to work in the job board.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.