Possible with Multisite?

I have a project looming, and I'm wondering if Multisite could handle this.

The main site would be in English, and the child sites would be separate domains. Most of those separate domains would be close copies of the main site, but translated into various languages and while much of the content would be duplicated from the main site, there would also be region-specific content as well.

So my questions are:

1. Can Multisite do shared content across various sites that would be translated into other languages?

2. Are there any other plugins that might be useful on such a Multisite installation?

This will be my first foray into playing with multisite, and I'm trying to minimize the breakage :slight_smile:

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @atouchofsummer, I hope you're well today!

1. Can Multisite do shared content across various sites that would be translated into other languages?

No, you can't "share" content between sites. Multisite is capable of handling many domains and sites, but sharing content is not one of its capabilities.
    However, you could take a look at the WPML plugin. It is the absolutely best plugin for multilingual sites and you can have specific content for specific languages. You can also use subdomains for different languages, so fr.example.com would be the french site, pl.example.com would be polish and so on.
    No need for multisite there... just the WPML plugin.

I hope that answers your question!

I am marking this issue as resolved, if however you find that the above solution doesn't work for you and you need further assistance, feel free to reopen it.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• atouchofsummer
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Yes, I know the bulk of the translation is going to have to be done by someone fluent, but I guess I was hoping there might be some inner Multisite magic that might cut down on some of the need for mirroring, but from what you're saying I'm still going to need to do both mirroring and manual copying.

Also, the first 3-4 mirroring plugins I've looked at in the repository haven't been updated in a year or more, and none of them say they'll work with WP 3.5 yet.

Still not sure if Multisite will still be the best path for the project, but I still have some more research to do.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.