Post and Page Restrictions not working in Pro Sites

The Post Page Quotas Setting in Pro Sites seems like it only allows these restrictions to be set for one level of users. Even at that, it is not working. I have it set at 1 for a Basic subscription yet I can add as many pages and posts as I choose.

How do I get this to restrict it to only 1 for this level? I also want to set the level at 5 for the next upgraded subscription.

On a similar note, how do I limit a user to only creating one site? I was told that Pro Sites would automatically give the user the site based on the user name chosen. It would be http://www.supportyouridea.com/username. I have never been told the HOW to this step. I can set it up for the user to get to the dashboard and create their own site. But doing it this way means I have to trust the user to use their username to create their site. Also, this access allows the user to create unlimited sites. I also need to know the HOW to limit the user to only one site.

These are necessary details to make my site user friendly for someone not that familiar with wordpress.

Thank you,
Franck

• aecnu

Greetings franckieb1 :slight_smile:

have you tried creating a separate site by going through the registration steps and then logging in as that user to see if the posts are limited?

I am guessing that you are signed in as Network Admin and another clue that you have not done it this way and tested is because of your statement about the user name.

You would know already that it is a user name within the domain/sub domain the user creates upon registration :slight_smile: The user will also pick the sub domain :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

• franckieb1

I did exactly what you mentioned. Got completely off of the internet and logged in with the new user name. I still had to create the supportyouridea.com/username in the dashboard through the create site function. I was able to create as many sites as I wanted and with as many pages as I wanted on each of those sites.

While logged in like that, I also attempted to get into the admin for supportyouridea.com and the network admin and was not able to do so. This means that some Pro Sites functions are working and some aren't. .

• aecnu

I can assure you all is working well :slight_smile: it is just your concept of how it works needs some adjusting :slight_smile:

First lets get you through proper registration :slight_smile:

Attachment 1 shows the first part of the registration process using Pro Sites and Attachment 2 show where they actually create their blog or web site - take note of the domain indicators in red and how it makes a sub domain.

• aecnu

they can always build as many free sites as they want :slight_frown: but it is how many sites without advertising is the limit in this case :slight_smile: as shown in attachment 1

Limiting publishing of pages or posts is not done by a number like 5 or 10, it is done by either allowing pages and/or posts at a certain level or not allowing as shown in attachment 2

• Philip John

Hiya,

Good job so far Joe, thank you. Points for you.

@franckieb1: Some of the functionality you are looking for isn't available in Pro Sites I'm afraid, such as the ability to limit blog creation.

However, you can achieve that by combining our Membership plugin which has a specific blog creation rule, and integrates with Pro Sites.

Note that for the post quota feature, it doesn't stop users creating new posts but prevents them from publishing those posts.

Thanks,
    Phil

• DavidM

Hi franckieb1,

Just to clarify, Pro Sites doesn't provide a method to limit the number of sites a user is able to create. Honestly, that's a complicated one because if a user is restricted to just one site, they can just create more accounts, which would probably turn out worse as you'll have numerous accounts per user.

Also, Pro Sites is a site-based plugin rather than a user-based one, so it wouldn't store info on a per-user basis, such as number of sites created.

Something like that would be more reasonably done with a plugin like Membership, which does have a blog creation rule.

As for the post/page creation limit module in Pro Sites, that would likewise be on a per-site basis. The site itself wouldn't allow more than that particular post/page limit. Have you tested that in particular?

-David

• franckieb1

Actually, I want the user to create many accounts since he will be paying a subscription fee for each account.

@aecnu - I got to that stage and entered my values and they are not saved and honored by my site when I test it.

I have asked about using Membership with Pro Sites on several forums. I keep getting replies that say I CAN do it. My queries are on HOW. Before signing up for WPMU I contacted customer service and described my project and they told me that I CAN with the plugins you offer. I'm over 90% of the way and need the HOW for the rest of it.

The tutorials and installation instructions given with the plugins are very lacking in detail. While delving into the forums it is obvious that I am not the only one having this problem.

• aecnu

sir I am not part of the staff of WPMU Dev - I am a member just like you :slight_smile:

One valid reason I have found for the lack of step by step instructions for WPMU Dev plugins other then installation is because the combinations of what can be done are almost infinite.

Therefore giving explicit instructions would keep people from thinking out of the box or in their own minds limiting themselves to the instructions rather then thinking out of the box. "This cannot be done because the instructions do not say so or how" thinking.

Furthermore not speaking on behalf of WPMU Dev because I cannot and I am not part of their staff, this is a DEV site, this is a Developer site, they provide the tools and we the members of the develop.

No where does it mention or say this is a end user turn key solution, that is what most of us are building (the end user solution) and providing to the end users through the use of the tools and help that WPMU Dev offers and that I am ever so happy to be a part of as a Member of this DEVELOPER Community.

I am personally happy there is not an A,B,C manual and then if I am out of the box they will not help me because it is not within the A,B,C box - because like you and I we are developers :slight_smile:

Can you imagine that, is this possible or that possible and the answer is no because it is "not in the box" or because it is "unsupported"???

WPMU Dev tries to help us no matter what the problem may be, no matter how silly the question, and possible workable solutions while most importantly they give help to reach our goals no matter what "out of the box" solution we are trying to develop and create.

YOU can do it franckieb1, with patience, out of the box thinking, and help from WPMU Dev and it's Members solving one issue at a time :slight_smile:

• aecnu

the problem at hand and first step is to figure out why the settings are not being saved :slight_smile:

Of course the site will not honor them if they are not being saved for whatever reason.

Which setting are not saving?

The Pro Sites-->Levels or the Pro Sites-->Settings or both are not saving?

When you click to save them what kind of error do you get if any?

The solution is there just waiting to be discovered .....

• Philip John

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this thread as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and, as always, for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!
    Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.