Post-indexer not indexing new posts

Hi- I have installed post-indexer v2.1 onto a multisite 3.2.1 setup, following the simple instructions. I can verify that the 2 new database tables have been created after the plugin was network activated.

The problem is: new posts are not adding anything to the new tables. My setup is not using any other plugin that feeds of the post-indexer, so I have been testing by looking at the database through phpMyAdmin. When I add a new post, the wp_site_posts and wp_term_counts tables remain empty.

FYI- This setup has no regular Posts, just 3 custom post types made with Custompress.

Thanks,

Keith

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi Keith,

Welcome to WPMU forums :slight_smile:

I’m not incredibly familiar with this plugin but I can start you out on finding a solution!

FYI- This setup has no regular Posts, just 3 custom post types made with Custompress.

Have you tried to publish a post the traditional way?

Best,

Kimberly

• PursuitKeith
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you.

I have not tried a traditional post because I have actually disabled them on the setup. In order to make it as CMS-like as possible, I have only the 3 custom post types for users to add content through. Am I correct in assuming that custom post types should be indexed by the plugin?

Thanks,

Keith

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Keith,

Yes, it should index Custom Post Types, however I’m not sure how or if that is affected by you disabling posting.

Can you try to see if enabling and doing it traditionally will work? For trouble-shooting purposes though, I’m not suggesting that you change your setup permanently :slight_smile:

Kimberly

• PursuitKeith
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Kimberly,

I got to the bottom of this with the help of Aaron on the live chat today. Just wanted to close this topic and let you know what it was.

Basically, Post-Indexer will not index posts that have an empty $post->post_content.

The custom post types that I have created through Custompress do not include the main Editor, so as to constrain the input for CMS purposes. The Post-Indexer plugin has a list of rules, one of which tests for $post->post_content and deters the indexing if it is empty.

My solution was to either:

1- Remove this rule from the plugin code. This worked, but is obviously the less desirable choice as it could have negative residual effects. It would also be update-unfriendly, which can be very dangerous if the theme depends highly on this plugin.

2- Add a hidden field into the Edit/Add screen for each custom post type named “content” and populate it to fulfill the plugins test. This is what we will be doing as it will keep the installation more stable, while allowing us to take advantage of all plugin features going forward.

Thanks for you quick response and help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.