Post Indexer Usage for pushing custom post type posts from main site to subsites

Hi, We currently have a client who has multiple sites for which we've setup an RSS feed to allow posts from one site also display and feed on their other site. However, this is now causing massive bandwidth issues with all the HTTP requests for content. What I'd like to do, if possible, is setup multisite, add both sites to the multisite, and use your Post Indexer plugin to:

* Make it so the client only needs to create posts on the main site
* Client should then be able to select which subsites each post they create should display on (pushed from main site)
* Possibly ability to make this selection from the post editor

Workflow:
1. Client logs into main site and creates an event
2. Once finished editing, client selects which website this post should display on, in addition to the main site.
3. Post then displays in the loop for that custom post type on both sites (not just a widget)
4. Happy client only needs to create and edit posts in one location, while users can view the content on designated sites

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Italic,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Currently this wouldn't be possible "out of the box". The Post Indexer plugins solves one big problem of a Multisite install that is the fact that all the content is "separate" for each of the sites in a network. That doesn't mean that Post Indexer automatically "shares content across the network" but it creates a central index of all the post/custom posts/pages across the Multisite that can further be utilized.

That being said, we've got some plugins for you that make use of that but mostly the work in a "from sub-site to main site" direction or as a kind of "content show off" (so you can e.g. put a widget showing content from other site/from network). There's however no tool like the one you described.

This could be done I think on top of Post Indexer but it would still require custom coded solution and that would be outside the scope of that support forum. If you feel like coding it yourself, please feel free to ask any questions about it and we'll be happy to share all the knowledge and tips (and if necessary I'll reach to our developers for help). If you however need a "ready to use" solution you may want to post a question at our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Best regards,
    Adam

Italic

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the quick reply! I believe as an early solution we are going to setup a cron job to check the DB for content and push it to the other tables for other sites, but I was wondering if there was another solution as you describe with custom coding.

Once all posts are index by the Post Indexer, how accessible are they for other sites? Can they be displayed in a loop on template pages etc? What restrictions are there when comparing the content from the index to content on each site itself? In a template file using a loop, could we then display posts from a specific category on select sites?

An example of an ideal solution would be:

Websites on the multisite installation are like 'suburbs' and each suburb should list streets in that suburb only. When creating a street, it should be assigned to a suburb (category) and display in that suburb's loop automatically. All streets should be created from a single site.

Predrag Dubajic

Hi Italic,

We have Recent Global Posts plugin that uses shortcode to display recent posts from your entire network and it can be used on subsites as well.

However there are some limitations to it, there's no option to select which sites from network will be used and there's no category selector.
    You could use the plugin for head start and customize it further to include all the options you're looking for.

Best regards,
    Predrag