post voting plugin setup questions

Regarding Post Voting plugin using the Five-stars system I have the following questions:
1. It seems that a user can only vote once or once a day depending from setup.
But I am trying to vote a page (i.e. the homepage/online shop) and then want to vote a product but it seems I can't vote anymore.
Is this a bug or this is the way the plugin works?
2. Is it possible to show the product vote (stars) on the product list [mp_list_products]?
3. I have also mistook to vote for on a page. Is it possible to change that vote as SuperAdmin?
4. Is it possible to show near the stars statistical info. Please see the screenshot.
5. As this is multisite compatible, is it possible to rate the whole site/shop so that the rating could be used in the header for example.
6. Also is possible to show different appearances for different types? i.e. showing stars for a page and thumb for a product?

Thanks
Paddy

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Paddy,

I hope you have a nice day today and thank you for your questions!

1. It seems that a user can only vote once or once a day depending from setup.
    But I am trying to vote a page (i.e. the homepage/online shop) and then want to vote a product but it seems I can't vote anymore.
    Is this a bug or this is the way the plugin works?

Users should be able to vote multiple times unless they are voting for the very same item (post, page, etc). The limitation can be "lifetime" or daily. For example, the same user should be able to vote for "Post A" and then vote for "Post B" but not again for "Post A".

If this doesn't work for you you may want to try to disable "Use IP check" as this may in some cases cause "false positive" blocks.

2. Is it possible to show the product vote (stars) on the product list [mp_list_products]?

You would like to show voting for each product on product list page and not for entire "products" page, is that correct? This is currently not possible as the product listing page is in fact a "single page" and not an "archive page" and plugin considers it as a whole. I think however this should change in future as "reviews and voting module" is quite a popular feature request for MarketPress and it should be added with one of future versions of the plugin. I'm not able however to give you any ETA on this.

3. I have also mistook to vote for on a page. Is it possible to change that vote as SuperAdmin?

It's not possible. To change votes you'd need to edit vote data inside database. The "Prevent site admins from making changes" option to which you may be referring is there to allow or prevent sub-site admins from making changes to plugin settings and not to voting.

4. Is it possible to show near the stars statistical info. Please see the screenshot.

This is not currently supported. It may be possible though with some custom coding that would enhance plugin but this would be outside the scope of this support forum. That said, I think you may want to post that idea in our "Features and Feedback" forum as a feature request and if it gets more support from the members of our community our developers will include it in future features plan. You may also want to post a question about custom coding this feature on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

5. As this is multisite compatible, is it possible to rate the whole site/shop so that the rating could be used in the header for example.

The plugin is designed to vote over single posts/pages (and products in case of e-commerce store) and doesn't support voting for entire site. However, voting for "shops" should be possible as by default there's a voting shown on "product listing" page. On Multisite that'd be separate voting on each sub-site so this could be considered the "whole shop vote" I think.

6. Also is possible to show different appearances for different types? i.e. showing stars for a page and thumb for a product?

Currently this is not supported. I agree though that it would be another nice feature so in this case you may want to post a feature request on "Features and Feedback" forum as well.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Paddy!

Regarding the shop rating, do you know if it is possible to show the rating only on the front page and not on all pages?

I'm not quite sure if I'm following you on this but if I do then I think you'd need a simple CSS that'd hide unwanted voting. In case you'd need some help with it please list the site's you'd like to hide voting from and I'll take a look at it.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Paddy

Hi Adam,
    You know that for Post Voting you can choose to " Do NOT show voting for these types"... posts, pages...

So if we show the stars in all pages this is confusing because user don't know what are all those voting for...
    So for the selected types the voting will not be show.
    So if I select pages, my stars rating will not show on the frontpage as well.
    I have tried to add the shortcode to the frontpage but still the stars are not shown because this is still a page, I suppose.
    That^s why I was asking if it is possible to show the rating system only on the frontpage and not on every page.

Paddy

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Paddy,

Thank's for this explanation, things are much more clear now :slight_smile:

The shortcode will not show anything if voting is disabled (at all or for selected type), that's why it doesn't work for you. As a frontpage is a "page" setting "Do NOT show voting..." for "pages" will remove voting from all the pages including frontpage.

Therefore there'd be two ways to keep voting on front-page only and remove it from all other pages.

1. CSS

Take a look at this code please:

.wdpv_voting {display:none;}
    .home .wdpv_voting {display:block;}
    .single .wdpv_voting {display:block;}

The first line hides voting everywhere. The second shows it back for homepage and the third shows it also for single post pages. This is not a complete solution but shows a general idea. The first line from this code is "universal", meaning that it should work with any theme. It should be always before the rest of these rules. Other two lines start with class name that is a unique class name for "body" tag for selected type of page.

2. Template tags

Another way would be to set "Voting box position" to "Manually Position the box using shortcode or widget", set all other options as you were using "automatic" voting placement and then use "template tags" in selected theme template files. For example, adding this line

<?php wdpv_vote(); ?>

to single.php file should show voting only on single post view.

This would most likely take a bit more work than the CSS way and also would require creation of child theme. I think then the CSS way would be best shot here.

Best regards,
    Adam