Potential for contacting members directly

I'm a member at the Warrior Forum and in that forum, there is the ability to PM (Private Message) members. I notice that there's no ability on WPMUDev to do that. That may be by design (on purpose), it may be a feature for future developement, or it may be something that you've not considered yet.

However, occasionally, it would be nice to have someone contact me through a link here on the forum rather than having to post by email address in open forum. I don't mind a member contacting me directly, but I really don't want scrapers to be able to scrape my email and send me junk - I already get about 2,000 emails a day as it is.

Is there any plan, or would it be possible, for members to easily send each other messages through the forum - even if it's just a quickie send of our email contact information. I noticed that you can't contact paid staff directly, and that's probably a good thing because you all would be covered up with direct requests otherwise. For you guys, it would be nice to have a form or something where people can post their login information to their websites when you are helping them.

I'm not sure how this could all be accomplished (except maybe by using BuddyPress) or if it would be feasible. I may be the only one that actually thinks this would be useful, so I apologize in advance if no one else does.

JDD

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

JDD,

Thanks so much for your input here!

It's awesome to have our members want to be so involved in improving our new design here. I don't know what concrete plans we have for the future, I do know that I've not heard any rumblings from others about messaging, however I do find that from time to time when members help each other out that would definitely be a handy option!

As for staff, I think you are right on with the no messaging policy there...we would be inundated to say the least I'm sure :slight_smile:

I'll pass this on to our designers and devs, for sure, so please know your voice is being heard. This one, however, would probably not be left out to member votes but more to the big Kahuna James to get the OK on implementation.

Thanks again for taking the time to send your thoughts, it's greatly appreciated!

Kindest Regards! Kimberly

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks for answering Kimberly.

I just saw a post where Joe (AECNU) answered and asked someone to send their login info (and had to give them his email address. Here's an idea that may NOT be feasible, but then again may be. Could you have an input field below this reply field where users could input vital information (such as login info, FB App Secrets, etc) that would ONLY be seen by staff - that field would never be shown on the open forum to any one logged in. Of course, I'm assuming that your staff login and ticketing system is a bit different from what we see. If that were the case, then when we put in a support request and a staff member needs that information, it could be inputted here and then their email address would not even need to be revealed.

Just another idea. Sorry, I'm full of ideas. Some may say I'm full of something else, but that's another story for another day. LOL.

JDD

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

and had to give them his email address

I recently had someone take my work email from a thread and send a support request direct to my inbox, I was already helping him out on his ticket so I responded, but found it very forward that he would do such a thing. It's not beyond anyone here to try to do what they can to get immediate attention, our members have very real concerns and many of the sites they are working on are their livelyhood. I cannot blame them, however it would get very messy very quickly if they could just message direct.

I think giving users direct access to support would cause some issues, but if we did it right, having a PM system for the users would be great :slight_smile:

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Agreed @Kimberly. That's why I'm thinking a PM type system would be helpful so you don't get your inbox blown up by a bunch of junk. You are definitely correct - that was a bit forward. I'm pretty bold in a sales situation, but I still would not do that unless you asked me to. Just like when people give me their cell phone number - I consider that an exhibition of trust that I don't intend to violate.But, I will call it if necessary.

However, I do believe some entry fields that are not displayed to the general public might be of real value to those of you on staff for sensitive information that should not be publicised so you don't even have to use email for that type of info.

JDD

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.