Potential issues with WP Multisite, BP Multi Network & CBOX theme.

I’ve put these questions up in a couple of forums hoping that I might get some guidance, but I’m not getting any feedback so I hope you don’t mind me asking you guys … any input would be appreciated …

I have a WP Multisite & BuddyPress installation with the Commons In A Box (CBOX) theme.

I am wanting to install the BP Multi Network plugin because I want to run with separated BP networks on specific WP subsites.

There are two issues that I can see at the moment …

As I have the CBOX theme in place, BuddyPress is a core component and therefore cannot be deactivated to allow for the installation of BP Multi Network. So it looks to me that I’ll need to de-install the CBOX theme (and then de-install/deactivate BuddyPress) in order to install the BP Multi Network plugin. Would you please confirm that this is the case?

The second issue (and this may be the killer for my idea) is that even when I’ve installed WP Multi Network I may have problems with the (reinstalled) CBOX theme in that BuddyPress looks like it is installed across the network and there’s no option to specify specific subsites to (only) run it on which means that the value of BP Multi Network will be nullified.

So it looks to me that in a WP MultiSite setup the CBOX theme and the WP Multi Site are essentially incompatible because of the need for CBOX to have BuddyPress as a core component.

If I am correct in my thinking, is there any way around the issue as I really want to run with WP Multisite, the CBOX theme, BuddyPress and the BP Multi Network plugin?

Thanks … Michael Scott

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Michael,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question,

I have taken a look at your use case and the plugins/theme, the BP Multi network is for use with multiple WordPress multisite networks as I saw this

This plugin segregates BuddyPress social networks in a multi network WordPress install so that each WP network has a different social network. The user base is still shared across the WP install.

Multiple WP networks can be created with either:

WP Multi Network

Networks+

Was you planning on multiple wordpress multisite networks or just one multisite, as if it’s just going to be one multisite I don’t believe this will work, please advise.

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• MichaelScott
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your response.

My primary/root site of my Multisite network is at causeinternational.com and I want that site to have its won BuddyPress network.

I am planning on multiple WordPress Multisite networks “hanging” under causeinternational.com such as:

– australia.causeinternational.com (which is already in place)

– indonesia.causeinternational.com

– newzealand.causeinternational.com

And I want each of these subsites to have their own separate BuddyPress network.

As well, some members (like me and you) might want to create their own subsites such as:

– michaelscott.causeinternational.com

– jackkitterhing.causeinternational.com

I’d like each of these people to have their own BuddyPress network as well – if they choose to have one.

Maybe the question that you’ll be able to aswer is this …

Right now I only have causeinternational.com and australia.causeinternational.com in place – the other subsites are yet to be created.

If I successfully install the BP Multi Network now, will all subsites created after that installation (ie, from now on) be setup with their own separate BuddyPress network automatically, or will I have to manually set up their separate BuddyPress network each time a new subsite is created? Yes! That’s the question I’ve really only just discovered that I need to ask.

Thanks for bringing me to the point where I could ask that question.

Thanks Jack, and best regards … Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.