Powered by Wordpress text and link

Hi,

I need to change the text that says 'Powered by Wordpress' and it's link that shows on the wordpress themes by default. I'm using the Ultimate Branding plugin and I'm creating templates using the Blog Templates plugin. Is there a way to to that without changing the code in the theme's back-end? I know if I do that, the wp default test will reappear if and when the users update the theme.

Thank you.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Eddy,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Not every theme displays that note and those that does may do this in a slightly different way. For example, in a "Twenty Sixteen" theme this is "hardcoded" into template like this:

<a href="<?php echo esc_url( __( 'https://wordpress.org/', 'twentysixteen' ) ); ?>"><?php printf( __( 'Proudly powered by %s', 'twentysixteen' ), 'WordPress' ); ?></a>

There wouldn't be any "filter/action" to hook to to remove it. In order not to change every single theme or create child themes you could use CSS to hide the element holding that message.

On a network-wide scale you could use an MU plugin for this. Here's an example code:

<?php
    function remove_wp_credits() {
     ?>
    <style>
    footer .site-title {display:none;}
    </style>
    <?php
    }
    add_action('wp_footer','remove_wp_credits');

This particular code should affect Twenty Sixteen theme. For other themes though you would need to identify the class holding this message first and then add similar "display:none;" rule to the code above.

To install MU plugin on your site, follow these steps:

- create an empty file with a .php extension, e.g.: remove-wp-message.php
    - paste that code inside
    - upload the file to the "/wp-content/mu-plugins" folder of your site

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Eddy!

I just checked the code once again and it seems I made a small mistake. I apologize for this.

The code should be:

<?php
    function remove_wp_credits() {
     ?>
    <style>
    footer .site-info {display:none;}
    </style>
    <?php
    }
    add_action('wp_footer','remove_wp_credits');

Notice that there's a ".site-info" class instead of ".site-title". I tested above code with Twenty Sixteen theme and it works.

Please note however that, as I mentioned before, this particular code will only affect the "Twenty Sixteen" theme. It may or may not affect other themes and you will most likely add additional CSS rules.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.