Pre-authorization and capture with Paypal on Appointments+

Hello,

I am building an appointment website that will be mostly based on the Appointments+ plugin. It is essential that the action of scheduling an appointment can be done with a "pre-authorization and capture" or just a "pre-authorization" method, preferrably via Paypal.

Is this possible? If so, may I cancel a payment pre-authorization via dashboard or do I have to log directly into my Paypal account and do so? If I make these actions via my Paypal account, does the plugin also remove them from its corresponding dashboard tab?

Also, is it possible to display more than one Paypal button for the same action of payment to create an appointment? For example, one button that would direct to a "pre-authorization and capture" whereas a second button would direct coustomer to a payment via debit from his bank account?

Your help is most appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Luís Ungarelli

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Luís,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Appointments+ on its own comes only with PayPal integration, once this is enabled and configured from Appointments > Settings > General > Payments panel your users will be asked for payment after selecting their desired time and that appointment will be set as pending until the payment is processed.

If so, may I cancel a payment pre-authorization via dashboard or do I have to log directly into my Paypal account and do so?

Appointments can be canceled from admin section directly, however this doesn't handle refunds and that part will need to be done via PayPal directly.

Also, is it possible to display more than one Paypal button for the same action of payment to create an appointment? For example, one button that would direct to a "pre-authorization and capture" whereas a second button would direct coustomer to a payment via debit from his bank account?

As mentioned above A+ comes only with PayPAl gateway and it doesn't handle manual payments, for something like this you will need to use MarketPress plugin alongside A+, this way you can set your appointments as products and then enable additional gateways (manual payment or any other) for selling products.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• lfungarelli

Wow Predrag Dubajic, thanks for answering my questions so quick!

Still one of my doubts persists and I believe it is because I did not explain my goals well enough.

I actually would need to "pre-authorize / pre-approve" a payment, for say 30 days (I believe 30 days is Paypal's standard for this operation nothing to do with the plugin itself), in order to "reserve / block" a certain amount of cash from a client's credit card that I can charge later, if necessary. It is extremely important that the client's card is not debited unless I go into my Paypal account and specifically require this.

I would only charge anything from the client if he did not show for the appointment. So I do not want to charge clients for appointments! I actually want to create a "no-show" fee that would only be charged after appointment has ocurred and client has not come to it.

As it seems in the payments configuration, this method of "pre-authorization and capture" is not the standard. How can I use it?

Thanks again,

Luís

• Dimitris

Hey there lfungarelli,

hope you're doing good and don't mind me chiming in here! :slight_smile:

PayPal's "Authorization and Capture" solution isn't implemented in PP gateways of Appointments+ or MarketPress plugin. This requires some custom coding in order to work the way you need. For example, to capture funds in a 29-days period, you should also "ensure the funds are available by performing a reauthorization".
    Reference: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/authcapture/

As this kind of work surpasses the scope of our support forums, you may have to hire an experienced developer to implement this gateway for you. You can also advise our Jobs & Pros section.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• lfungarelli

Hello,

I´m fine tnahks and hope both you (Dmitri) and Predrag are also doing good today!

I thank you for chiming in and giving valuable feedback.

I was kinda expecting that I would need custom development, but had to be sure by asking here.

Also the info on Jobs and Pros section is great. I will get a test site running and then post a job offer on that section when development is in a more advanced stage.

I consider this topic as solved.

Thanks,

Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.