previous subdomain - Multi-domains or Mapping

I have a multi-site setup under rokable.com.

I have a sub-site setup under rokable.com/k9.

Now that the client is happy I need to launch the site using: IcerK9.com

Instead of using more server space by uploading the theme again, I would like to have IcerK9.com point to rokable.com/k9. I also need it to "mask" and look like IcerK9.com.

What plugins do I need?? Multi-domains? Domain Mapping??

Can this be done only with new instances/sites or can I do this with my current site?

Thanks people!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Roderick

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

The plugin you want is Domain Mapping. It enables you (or your client) to map a top-level domain name (like mycoolsite.com) to a sub-site in a multisite network, so to the casual surfer it looks like a standalone site.

However, if the client requires FTP or cPanel access, that won't cut it. You would need to physically migrate the sub-site out of your network, or clone it to a new site.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Roderick,

Thanks for posting back.

Yeah that would help keep the server space down.

The best part is that if the clients do not need FTP etc, you can have a multisite network and create subsites like

site.com/user1 ; site.com/user2 etc and map them to user1.com ; user2.com respectively hence using the same WordPress install, reusing the themes and plugins etc.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.