Price notification

hey gurus,

I had a brain thought while I was shouting at someone in the office and not really sure how it relates but...

Price Drop Plugin. I am thinking of doing like amazon and other people and have a shopping item website. That continuously updates with the best price.

Users sign up, select their items they want to watch and once it reaches their target price, they get notified.

now... how do I get other websites prices... scrap? or rss feeds? how is it done now a days?

am I old on the scene and there is already a plugin? or what you guys recon?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

I'm not so sure about a plugin, I know there are Amazon ones, but I'm not so sure it does price drop notifications.

I would imagine large companies have some kind of API you can connect into or maybe send over their price lists somehow.

The same for price comparison type sites.

I guess the only way to know would be to do some research on comparison type sites, maybe even contact a large retailer and ask them. Being direct would get the most accurate answer.

There are a lot of price comparison sites out there, I'm not sure how many notify you of price changes but it does seem a busy market. Google Shopping also offer comparisons of companies listing with them

I wonder if other members have any advise on this, maybe they've done or attempted something similar.

Take care.

• James Dunn

Goodday.

There's a guy in the Warrior Forum that has built a lot of Amazon (and other merchant) plugins that pull in those types of pricing from various merchants, then creates comparison charts, shopping lists with 90 day cookies, and a host of other things. He's very well versed on using Amazon and WP, so he might be a good starting point for you. Here's a link to his public profile there: Edwin Boiten. He's in the Netherlands, so I don't know how much time differential there is with you, but give him a shout.

Here's a link to his website page that lists all his current products: http://edwinboiten.com/

Give him a shout and if he sees a potential to use that idea on a plugin, he just might code it up and it become his next WP Plugin.

Good luck on this.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.