Privacy setting on signup

Hi - I'm aware that this plugin doesn't offer this option at present (at least I don't think so), but it would be really great for any future updates if you guys could consider incorporating a privacy option on signup (even if it was just along the lines of public/private).
If there's any simple way of doing this myself, perhaps you could point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
Duncan

• Duncan Soar

Thanks David, but I don't mean privacy regarding search engines. I mean the privacy settings that the plugin uses (ie whether anyone can see the blog, whether only signed in users can see the blog, or whether it's only visible to the blog owner). It would be really useful if the new blog user could set this when they register. So - with the site that I'm setting up using the Network theme - the user can decide whether they want to use the blog as a private 'diary', or whether their blog will be publicly visible on the main Network site.

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks

Duncan

• Duncan Soar

Hi again David

I've just tested this and it doesn't seem to be working. I registered a test user and made sure I ticked the 'No' box on the privacy options. However, the blog thumbnail appeared on the main Network page. When I logged into the new blog's dashboard and looked at the privacy options, the box marked 'I would like my site to be visible to everyone, including search engines (like Google, Bing, Technorati) and archivers' was checked (which I don't think it should have been). I thought I'd maybe ticked the 'yes' box by mistake on signup so did it again, making sure the 'no' box was checked, and the same thing happened... Any thoughts?

Thanks

Duncan

• Sue

Hi Duncan

Their blog URL will automatically feeds through to the blog directory with BuddyPress regardless of what privacy setting you use.

This doesn't mean that anyone can view the blog. It depends on what privacy option you have set on the blog, whether they are logged into their account and what user level you are when viewing the blog.

For example. if you are logged in as a Super Admin user you will automatically be able to see the blog content on all private blogs.

Whereas only a logged in user on your network will be able to view the content on a blog set to "I would like only logged in users to see my blog." While only a logged in user who has been added to a blog as a user will be able to see the content on a blog set to " I would like only logged in users who are registered subscribers to see my blog."

All logged out users going to the private blogs will only see the login page.

Hope this has helped!

Sue

• Duncan Soar

Hi Sue

Thanks very much for your reply - that certainly does make sense. (I'm not using BP by the way, just multi sites).

I'm still not any closer though to having an option for new users to have a simple "Make my blog public" or "Make my blog private" on signup option though (as discussed above, the current default setting doesn't affect the blog's visibility to network users with or without the privacy plugin). I'm just not sure how many users who have never used WP before will know to navigate to the privacy settings via the dashboard so want to make it as simple as possible for them...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for your help.

Duncan

• Sue

Hi Duncan

Sorry and thanks for clarifying you weren't using WP. I assumed wrongly based on a quick look at the support threads you had left comments in.

We don't even include the basic private/public privacy option, as shown in David's image, on our Edublogs.org sign up page. Personally I think this is a good approach for our situation because there is less to confuse them and with privacy there is a lot to consider when choosing which option to use.

I've also found those that want their blogs to be private are very quick at finding and changing their privacy setting from within their dashboard.

Sue

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.