Private Messaging conflict with theme's JS

The 500 Classic theme is causing the send message button of the plugin to not work.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Pierce,

Hope you're doing well :slight_smile:

I just tested your site and I was able to send a message to test user I created without any issues.

I also tested it on my installation with 500 Classic theme installed and couldn't replicate the issue there as well.

Can you tell me some steps I could follow in order to replicate this?
    Are you using messaging in page with [pm_user] shortcode, or you are sending from admin bar icon?
    Does it happen on both and frontend for you?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Pierce
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Predrag,

I am well. I hope you are doing well too.

Sorry for not being more clear on what the issue is. The problem is when trying to message a user from bbPress. When I click "Message Me" on a user in the forums, the popover appears, but does not send when I click "Send".

Cheers,
    Pierce

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Pierce,

Thanks for the additional info, I tried now with bbPress on my installation but I'm afraid that I still can't replicate this on my installation so I tried on your end again but when I try access topics on your site I keep getting Database Connection error and I was unable to check it out.

Can you check this out and make sure that the topics are working properly so we can investigate this further?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Pierce,

I'm afraid that the issue is still happening, topics page you linked worked for a minute but after I added new comment there with my test account I can no longer load any page and I see 500 error in console.

I would suggest enabling debug mode in wp-config.php by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Now when 500 error shows up again you should be able to find what's causing it inside wp-content/debug.log file.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Pierce,

I have accessed your site and checked it again. I still wasn't able to replicate the issue on my test setup, even after enabling some of the same plugins that you're using, while the issue on your end is still there.

During the chat, you mentioned the "popoverasync.js" file but I wasn't able to find it nor in the theme files, neither in Private Messaging plugin. I might have missed something tho so can you tell me please where did you find this file?

Also, the theme says it requires certain Ignition Desk plugin so while running a conflict test did you disable those plugins too or did you keep them active?

Finally, where there any customizations made to the theme?

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Pierce
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Adam,

That is very strange. A plugin that has since been removed, Query Monitor, threw me an error for the "popoverasync.js" file. I figured that the issue for the Private Messaging from forums was a result of this as the error only appeared in topic posts. When I did a theme conflict, I did not disable the plugins. I kept them active. The issue resolved itself. In addition, I did make some customizations to the theme. Is it likely a result of the customizations?

If a customization is throwing an error, will the debug.log file show me what the issue is?

Cheers,
    Pierce

• Pierce
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Adam,

Just checking if you have any insight into debugging the issue. I had made edits to the theme. Is there a way to enable viewing of logs that can give me some insight into what exactly is the matter?

Cheers,
    Pierce

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Pierce,

WordPress debug will shop PHP warnings, notices and errors as well as deprecated functions, however it will not write it straight away if your custom function is not triggered.

So, if the functionality is triggered on page load it will write in the error log and if it's not you need to perform the action that triggers your custom code and if there are any errors it will add it to log.

What happens if you use default 500 Classic theme with default child theme, does the Private Messaging issue still happen?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Pierce
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Predrag,

Ah, okay. I checked my debug files recently and nothing came up when I tried the Message Me feature in bbPress. As for the child theme, that is something I needed help with. How does one go about creating a child theme?

Cheers,
      Pierce

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.