Private Messaging Plugin Altering Emails

I would like to change the look of the emails received whenever a message is sent.
Right now, it is a plain white email that says "XXX has sent you a message" and at the bottom of the message it says "Check your messages here /wp-admin/admin-ajax?message_id=XXX"

I do not want that link on the bottom because whenver I click on it, it takes me nowhere. I would like to add my own link but I have no luck. I went to the PHP file mm-setting-model.php and changed this line "Check your messages here POST_LINK" but it doesnt do anything.

How can I change the link and alter the look of the email?

Thanks

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, chuyqwerty!

I suspect the link in the email is taking you to nowhere because you need to refresh your permalinks. Go to Settings > Permalinks, and hit save with your current settings, unless you're using the default page/post ID numbers structure. If you are, switch to "post name" or another pretty format and save.

Make sure to undo the edits you made to the plugin file before you do this.

How would you like to alter the look of the email? With some more specific details we may be able to help with some simple styling.

Thanks!

• chuyqwerty

Thank you so much for your help.
      I refreshed my permalinks but it still gives me a link that goes nowhere. It gives me this link

/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?message_id=8558

Even if the link did work, the backend is blocked to all users except admins. But this link does not do anything even for admins. I dont know whats going on. Is there an easy way to just replace the link so that I can manually just type in the URL of my inbox page?

And for the email notifications, I want to alter it to look the same way all my other notification emails look like. I have a template that I used for all of them that basically just have our branding and contact info. I would like to use my same template but don't really know where to start. Is there a file here that I can alter to be able to make this happen?

Thanks again

• chuyqwerty

Thanks for getting back at me.
      I installed the newest update, and it did not fix the problem. The link still goes nowhere for me. But it added a new problem now. The inbox shows all messages, including sent messages. So I installed the previous version and it fixed the inbox problem.

I was able to modify the link as well as the look of the email, so you can ignore that part. I did, however, notice that the notification link (when "view" button is clicked) goes to nowhere. It adds this "?box=unread" to the end of the URL but nothing happens. I know that notifications is beta but just wanted to let you know.

Also, is there a way to delete messages? When I updated to the newest version, I sent a message to test it out, but now that message I sent cant be clicked into. If I click into it, the cursor just shows that it is loading but it never brings up the message (so the message is bold as if it was unread). It would be nice to be able to delete messages. Seems this cant be done on frontend or backend

Thanks for your help

• Hoang Ngo

Hi @chuyqwerty,

The email link should bring you to frontend, something like http://yourdomain/inbox/?message_id=xxx, not the wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

The inbox shows all messages, including sent messages. So I installed the previous version and it fixed the inbox problem.

The inbox will not display Sent Messages unless the user has reply, and it will display active conversation.

I was able to modify the link as well as the look of the email, so you can ignore that part. I did, however, notice that the notification link (when "view" button is clicked) goes to nowhere. It adds this "?box=unread" to the end of the URL but nothing happens. I know that notifications is beta but just wanted to let you know.

I see your point, I will fix this in next release, thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

Also, is there a way to delete messages? When I updated to the newest version, I sent a message to test it out, but now that message I sent cant be clicked into. If I click into it, the cursor just shows that it is loading but it never brings up the message (so the message is bold as if it was unread). It would be nice to be able to delete messages. Seems this cant be done on frontend or backend

You can delete it by archive it first, and then in archive tab, you will see the delete button :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Hoang

• chuyqwerty

Hi thanks for your reply

Just for your information, the inbox DOES display sent messages, not just the ones that have a reply. (Maybe its just me, but the updated version had that inbox problem so I had to go to previous version) Also, on the updated version, when you hover over the tabs "inbox, unread, read" they do not update. So if I delete them and hover over "inbox," it still says "30 messages eventhough there are none. (The previous version does not have this problem)

I tried archiving messages to delete them. They do delete, but its such a tidius process to have to select them one by one. Is there no quick way to select all and delete? Also, I noticed that messages that were replied to can not be deleted. I archive them and then delete them, but they appear in my inbox and sent messages after I had deleted them. I also noticed that on the backend, all the messages I delete are still there.

Do you know what database table is created for these messages? I sent a bunch of test messages that I want to delete but they wont delete due to what I mentioned above.

Thank you

• Hoang Ngo

Hi @chuyqwerty,

I hope you are well today and many thanks for your valuable inputs, which really helps :slight_smile:

For now, I will need more information for further debug, Can you please send in:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Hoang Ngo
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include cPanel (I will need to look at the DB so need PHPMyAdmin or similar)
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks!!. I will try to solve this issue as soon as possible for you :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Hoang

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.