Pro Site, but need some subdomains to link outside of site

I'm sure this is an easy one, but I can't get it to work.
My prototype site went great, now I'm building my real site and I'm running into a few issues.

If it helps my site is setup for subdomains and I am not interested in changing that

I need domains.snowpawsolutions.net to go to loprabbit.supersite2.myorderbox.com when someone visits the link.
Normally it works but having an A record that point domains.snowpawsolutions.net to 209.99.17.23, but with Pro Sites it brings me to the signup page instead of the site I need.

domainmanage.snowpawsolutions.net points to a CNAME and it works, but the other sub domains don't have CNAMEs available, only IP addresses.

Can I make certain subdomains off limits for pro sites so they would work or how do I get these to work?

Off topic a little, but is there a way to export all of my Pro Site settings from one site to another or do I have to manually redo it on every site?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Rob,

Hope you're having a good weekend so far!

I need domains.snowpawsolutions.net to go to loprabbit.supersite2.myorderbox.com when someone visits the link.
    Normally it works but having an A record that point domains.snowpawsolutions.net to 209.99.17.23, but with Pro Sites it brings me to the signup page instead of the site I need.

You could edit the subdomain in cPanel and then redirect it to the loprabbit url. I might be misunderstanding the question but sounds like if you just want the domains.snowpawsolution subdomain to forward to loprabbit then this should do the trick, you can do this in cPanel.

Off topic a little, but is there a way to export all of my Pro Site settings from one site to another or do I have to manually redo it on every site?

The Pro Sites settings as in the network admin Pro Sites settings or the settings of each subsite?

If it's the subsite settings then you could use our New Blog Templates plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

This will allow you to create a template subsite and your users can either select it at sign up or you can set a default one that is always applied no matter what :slight_smile:

If it's the actual Pro Sites settings within the network admin and you want to copy the settings over to a new network - we don't currently have a tool for doing that.

Look forward to hearing back on this!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Rob

I attached a screen shot of how I have the subdomains setup with your suggestion to help others in the future if needed. It took a little bit, but it started to work right.

Is there a way to block certain sites on pro sites so people can't sign up for them. For example I don't want them to sign up for something like email.snowpawsolutions.net as their site.

As for the moving pro sites, I was taking about the network level. My example is I build a nice pro site, then I decide I want to build a new site on new domain (for example new theme of the site or a site geared towards a different group) setup just like the old other one. It would be nice if there was an easy way to copy the site.

Thanks!
    Rob

• Tyler Postle

Hey Rob,

Thanks for attaching the screenshot for others :slight_smile: passing some points your way for the contribution.

Is there a way to block certain sites on pro sites so people can't sign up for them. For example I don't want them to sign up for something like email.snowpawsolutions.net as their site.

I would suggest signing up those names up yourself then you can redirect the subdomain to the home page so no one sees just an empty site. A way to list "banned" subsite names would be cool though :slight_smile: I'll move that over to the feature requests.

As for the moving pro sites, I was taking about the network level. My example is I build a nice pro site, then I decide I want to build a new site on new domain (for example new theme of the site or a site geared towards a different group) setup just like the old other one. It would be nice if there was an easy way to copy the site.

For this you would need to setup it up then do a full backup, that way you could use the backup to restore on another server and change the urls. So you would have the exact same setup there with a new url. So we don't have a way to import/export settings right now but that would be a way around it. Just keep in mind that if you did the backup after you have lots of subsites then those subsites would be included in it.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.