Pro Site erroneously sent out receipts

Received troubling email from previous subscriber.
Her PayPal subscription has been cancelled since 7/14/15 and no payments have been received since then. The site is in state "manage"

She received 2 identical emails today:
"On Jan 8, 2016 9:11 AM, "Using Essential Oils" <support@usingessentialoils.com> wrote:
Your Using Essential Oils website subscription payment was successful!

Current Plan: Pro Business Plus

Payment Method: PayPal Express/Pro
Payment Term: Every 1 Month(s)
Payment Amount: $30.00 USD"

There was no successful transaction. The site is #527

Of course she want refunds! So I spent much time at PayPal documenting her payment history.

Getting back to her, I asked if she had tried to access her site and she confirmed that she had tried to access her account this morning and each time she tried it generated an email receipt!!!

You can see the email receipts in the Pro Site Manager History.

Adam Czajczyk

Hello antKat,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'd like to take a closer look at this, unfortunately I'm not able to access your site as it seems there's no support access granted. Could you please grant it for me using our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

Adam Czajczyk

Hello antKat,

Thank you for granting access!

I've reviewed that site's settings and that particular user's site account. There's indeed notice that the payment receipt was sent twice to that user. This is only sent in case the payment was made, however it does not take into account the scenario whether the member immediately cancelled subscription. However, the "Pro Site Canceled" should be sent, I think.

There's a link to the last PayPal transaction on "Manage" page for that site. I cannot access it of course but does it confirm that the last payment was indeed made on 07/10/2015 as stated there?

Also, via your PayPal account you should be able to check recent IPN calls along with its contents. Could you please take a look and check if there were any IPN calls (probably related to that user account/subscription) on 01/08/2016 and if there were any - what was their content?

Please remove any sensitive account data while sharing this contents here with me.

Thanks!
    Adam

antKat

Hi Adam,
    I clearly have PayPal issues associated with Pro Sites
    In regards to the 2 erroneous receipt emails sent for site 527; I can confirm that the last payment that PayPal shows is in fact 7/10/2015 . . . 6 months ago!! See image.

I also went to check IPN history and it is VERY ODD! Although we are trying to re-start the business after a 5 month "stall" and we are having problems with new sign-ups and renewals, we have had a couple of successful transactions. However, the IPN is showing "NO History" for any of the Pro-Site transactions, even when you enter a specific transaction ID!

Out of total frustration, I've created a 1-month "subscription" in MarketPress to at least re-activate some customers even if it is through this manual process until all of the Pro Site issues get resolved (I can only use this method for existing sites though) - the point is . . . the PayPal IPN IS showing the marketpress transaction in history. I have so many support tickets now open regarding Pro Sites!

Getting back to the site 527 - why would email receipts be triggered by the user just trying to access her expired site? Many mysteries.

Adam Czajczyk

Hello antKat!

Thank you for additional explanation.

I took a liberty of accessing your site again. I can see that MarketPress is currently active on 3 sites. Since for recent releases it is not necessary to manually set IPN URL in PayPal's account there shouldn't be any conflicts anymore. However, the fact that MarketPress is generating IPN calls but Pro Site's isn't is indeed a bit surprising.

The initial thought would be that the IPN URL for Pro Sites isn't properly set on your PayPal account. Just to make sure, could you please double-check it (the proper IPN is given on "Pro Sites -> Payment Gateways - PayPal" page). I suppose it is set as it should but it's always worth checking for sure.

That said, I have reviewed some of your other threads again and I'm starting to get a feeling that all these PayPal issues maybe connected. The most "low level" issue seems to be that related to database errors which I already forwarded to our 2nd-line support. Yet, since there's still not solution given by them, I just urged them to get back to me with some information as soon as possible.

I think that's the first that should be solved and it then would allow me to get back to the second one, which would be the one related to error when submitting checkout for existing users

I understand that all these issues are urgent but I think they are still connected and it would be just better to follow them in aforementioned order, so we (as in "me, 2nd-line guys and developers") wouldn't get in each other's ways while troubleshooting this and also it may turn out that solving first will solve (or at least get us closer to solution) the second one.

As for the "receipts" email. After reviewing your site's setup again and comparing it against my own I can't see any reason for that behavior. In fact, I wasn't able to replicate this on my own. That said, I've already asked plugin's developer for further suggestions on a) what could be the possible reason for this b) what should I check/test next.

I'll get back to you here once I get a response!

Best regards,
    Adam

antKat

Hi Adam,
    Thank you for helping with this.
    To confirm, the following is the PayPal IPN settings as they appear on PayPal:
    Current settings
    Notification URL http://usingessentialoils.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn
    Message delivery Enabled

As I have mentioned in previous threads, I had been successfully creating Pro-Sites (over 600) as of July 10, 2015 when we were still on the Pro Sites 3.4.x At that time I had to stop adding sites and only supported our annual subscribers that we had at that time. We continued to update all of our plugins. On December 28, I finally got the go ahead to continue and now the PayPal issue is really problematic. I appreciate any help you can give to get me back in business.

Adam Czajczyk

Hello antKat!

I'm aware of your other issue and I can confirm that it has also been forwarded to 2nd-line. I also realize that it's taking more time than expected. It seems though that the issue had escalated since your initial posting here and this makes it a lot more complex. I just checked our internal 2nd-line tickets for these and I can confirm that they're working on this. I apologize for keeping you waiting still but hopefully I'll be able to update you soon with good news.

Best regards,
    Adam

antKat

@WP-Networks we definitely can look into WP cron, but this situation relative to cron doesn't seem logical. If WP cron works in such a way that the user would only get their receipt after logging in and this was the first time logging in, I could understand the possible connection. However, as an example, this is the flow for site 498
    4/28/15 Annual subscription profile and transaction completed. Expiration date 5/27/16 (extended 30 days from free trial.
    4/28/15 Receipt sent out for the subscription
    9/7/15: Assuming we were phasing out, Using Essential Oils (UEO), cancelled the PayPal Profile.
    11/03: Preparing for "Re-Launch" UEO provided an additional 60 day manual extension - with new expiration date of 7/27/16
    1/23/16 User logs in and erroneous receipt is sent out with no new transaction!!!!!

WP-Networks

...notice that Pro Sites log for site ID 498 reads (btw, I believe times are EST)

2016-01-23 1:57:39 pm	User modifying subscription via PayPal Express: PayPal returned an error: Timeout processing request
    2016-01-23 1:49:56 pm	Payment receipt email sent to ...

...and from debug log for the time period between logged pro-sites events shown above...

[23-Jan-2016 18:47:59 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: Manual in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/View/Front/Gateway.php on line 167
    [23-Jan-2016 18:47:59 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: Manual in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/View/Front/Gateway.php on line 167
    [23-Jan-2016 18:49:56 UTC] PHP Notice:  ob_clean(): failed to delete buffer. No buffer to delete in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites.php on line 4763
    [23-Jan-2016 18:49:56 UTC] PHP Notice:  ob_clean(): failed to delete buffer. No buffer to delete in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites.php on line 4763
    [23-Jan-2016 18:49:56 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: Manual in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/View/Front/Gateway.php on line 167
    [23-Jan-2016 18:49:56 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: Manual in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/View/Front/Gateway.php on line 167
    [23-Jan-2016 18:56:56 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: Manual in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/View/Front/Gateway.php on line 167
    [23-Jan-2016 18:56:56 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: Manual in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/View/Front/Gateway.php on line 167
    [23-Jan-2016 18:57:08 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset: 7 in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/gateways/gateway-paypal-express-pro.php on line 1450
    [23-Jan-2016 18:57:08 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset: 7 in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/gateways/gateway-paypal-express-pro.php on line 1450
    [23-Jan-2016 18:57:38 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset: 7 in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/gateways/gateway-paypal-express-pro.php on line 1450
    [23-Jan-2016 18:57:38 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset: 7 in /home/fg9aw0px4s6b7os0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/gateways/gateway-paypal-express-pro.php on line 1450

Cheers, Max