pro-site plugins premium theme area question. See screenshot

screenshot attached.
In my admin backend in the pro-sites plugin, I see both teh child theme and parent theme of the WPMU themes. Is this how it's supposed to be? If so, which one do I activate for customers? see screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/ekrExeeiz

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Grace,

That is exactly how it should be. The parent theme and the child theme are actually two separate themes, only that the child theme derives some elements from the parent theme (and need the parent theme to work).

If you want your users to use both themes, you need to activate both. Like in the case of Frame Market, the child theme Grid Market looks very different from the parent theme.

But in cases where the child and parent look alike, you just need to enable the child theme. The parent theme has to exist in the directory but it doesn't have to be activated for the child to work.

I hope you got it, Let me know. :slight_smile:

• Grace
    • Syntax Hero

I'm still not sure I understand but to be safe, I should activate both the parent and child theme in the premium theme area of the pro-site plugin?

Why does the child and parent theme of the framemarket theme look different? I need to activate both, right?

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Grace,

A Child theme need not necessarily look like a parent theme. One of the many reasons why people create child themes is to get the theme a different look but with the same functionality ,without having to redo the whole thing.

For example, if you checking StudioPress themes, all their themes are child themes of their parent theme framework Genesis: http://www.studiopress.com/themes

If the parent theme and the child theme look same, there is no point in activating both of them, just activate the child.

Got it right?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.