Pro Sites - 100% off first month code - Doesnt create site.

Hi

I have a 'monthtrial' code that gives 100% off the first month, if the user creates a pro site via a monthly period.

However, if this code is used it goes through PayPal saying £0.00 first month then the normal price recurring after.

When the user accepts via PayPal, it goes to the success/setup page, shows their login details but does not create a pro site for them (and shows the wp-admin link for the main site not their custom site).

Creating a site without the 100% off trial code works totally fine.

Any ideas on how to get this to work? I'd prefer not to use the free trial feature as I'd want them to be given the level they select and not be charged until the trial is over.

Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Elliot,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The issue is related to PayPal and not the ProSites plugin. Currently, PayPal doesn't support "0 price" transaction and the minimum transaction amount is 0.01GBP. There are different values for different currencies but all are more than 0.

Take a look at this table please:
    https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/FinancialInstrument/popup/WireWithdrawMinimumAmount-outside

That's for withdrawal but the rule is the same. Furthermore, PayPal does allow adding "0 priced" items but won't process that payment while it's an only item in "PayPal basket/cart". Therefore, it's not currently possible to use 100% coupon successfully and I think the way to go would be the free trial option or e.g. 99% coupon code (so the payment would go through but would only be minimal).

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Elliot!

I'd also preferably like it to assign them to the level they selected for the trial, rather than a pre-defined level. But I think that's not possible at the moment?

You're right, that's currently not possible though you can select which level should be used as a trial period. It's quite common used to let customers expierience e.g. "full package" for free and then decide whether they'd like to stick to it or select other one.

As for the customer being charged. I tried to access your site to check its setting but it seems that the support access that you granted has already expired. Could you please re-grant it for me so I could check the site?

Apart from this, I noticed that the amount that customer was charged doesn't seem to match the real price of "Basic" level on your site (unless I'm missing something). The point is that after the trial ends customer should be automatically "switched" to selected level and charged for it unless he/she cancels first. For this, the plugin has to create a subscription at payment gateway immediately - it cannot be done later because payment gateways doesn't allow creating "empty/delayed payment" subscriptions via API. Therefore, there should be a pre-authorization transaction ($1 in case of USD, I think) which actually doesn't charge credit card/account but is processed only to confirm that the card/account is valid.

Have you tested this using a sandbox/testing or live account? On sandbox account you won't see whether your cart/account was indeed charged or just pre-authorized but using a "live gateway" (if you sign up using your own cart for your own pro site) you should be able to see it and it shouldn't be charged for the price of the level until trial period is over.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Elliot!

Thank you for these additional information!

I just run some more tests on my own setup and find out that actually Pro Sites is billing customer's card/paypal account immediately for a given price even though trial is enabled. I'm considering this a bug so I already reported it to our developers. They'll run some more extensive tests and track down an issue and work on a fix.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.