Pro Sites 101

Hiya gang,

I'm starting over with my WP powered do-it-yourself website community and have started fresh with the new Pro Sites plugin. I have watched the intro video and read the installation info and feel like I'm more lost (conceptually) than I was previously (not surprising).

Here's what I'm trying to do. Maybe someone can give me a basic overview of how I should approach this?

I want to offer different Levels for different Themes and have the ability to stick my Google Adsense in the "free" themes, and require users to pay if they want to turn it off. I also only want certain Plugins available on the Paid Levels. I'm not quite sure if I can accomplish this all with two levels (Free / Paid) or if I need to create multiple Paid levels. Also, as a plus, I would like to limit the Free sites to only be allowed to create up to X pages. (I see that all of this as options in the settings but I'm not sure exactly how to wrap my head around everything.)

Also - I have a "Main" site setup (the site that the users would visit for more info on this community and how to sign up and pricing and etc.) and I'm not sure how to "exclude" this site from the Free / Paid options. When I setup different Levels, all of a sudden all my pages are now unavailable. Plus it seems like this Theme is available in the list (I'm not sure if this is because I'm logged in as Admin or not), but I do *not* want that theme to even be visible to anyone.

I know I'll have more questions as I go but maybe someone can help me with this Basic 101: Intro to Pro Sites. :wink:

Thanks!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey RodeoRamsey.

I hope your well!!

I want to offer different Levels for different Themes and have the ability to stick my Google Adsense in the "free" themes, and require users to pay if they want to turn it off.

In your:

Admin --> Network Admin --> Pro Sites --> Modules/Gateways

/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=psts-modules

You can install the "Premium Themes" option, then under the Pro Sites menu you will see a new "Premium Themes" option where you can choose what level is required for each theme.

You can also enable the advertising option, then in the settings page you can add the ad code and settings.

/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=psts-settings

I also only want certain Plugins available on the Paid Levels.

Same this here, as for premium themes. An option will then appear in the menu for you to set which plugins for which level.

I'm not quite sure if I can accomplish this all with two levels (Free / Paid) or if I need to create multiple Paid levels.

You can create as many levels as you wish. :slight_smile:

Also, as a plus, I would like to limit the Free sites to only be allowed to create up to X pages. (I see that all of this as options in the settings but I'm not sure exactly how to wrap my head around everything.)

Yup as you noticed they are all in the settings page, so if you want to limit page create to say 5, then select 5.

If you only have two levels, Free and Premium then the minimum level would of course be premium to lift that restriction on the amount of pages.

Also - I have a "Main" site setup (the site that the users would visit for more info on this community and how to sign up and pricing and etc.) and I'm not sure how to "exclude" this site from the Free / Paid options.

I'm not sure I understand you here? They don't pay for your main site to be upgraded, only sites they own within your network of websites.

When I setup different Levels, all of a sudden all my pages are now unavailable.

Which pages do you refer to? Perhaps a link for me to see?

Are there any errors in your websites log files?

Plus it seems like this Theme is available in the list (I'm not sure if this is because I'm logged in as Admin or not), but I do *not* want that theme to even be visible to anyone.

You can set theme access as described above.

What you could do is set up demo accounts and test sites to play with, then you would get a greater grasp of the capabilities of this plugin and how they work.

Let us know how you get on. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

• RodeoRamsey

Thanks Timothy! Lots of good info I need to chew on here...

However, one thing in particular... to clarify my statement about the theme. The main website, the community site, the "wordpress.com" site (if you will), the one that the users visit to learn about more info about our community and how to sign up, is designed using a custom theme. This theme is located in the themes folder and is NOT network activated because it should *only* be available for the main site itself, not for *any* other site/user that might signup. However, it is located in the themes list under the Premium Themes menu. I don't even want that to be an option for people to see. How can I remove it from there? Thanks!

• Timothy Bowers

When using the Pro Sites plugin you can set individual themes to not be able to any level.

wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=psts-themes

See screenshot for example.

As you will see on that page:

Select the minimum Pro Site level for premium themes that you want to enable for sites of that level or above. Only disabled network themes are shown in this list.

If you could check those pages to ensure the theme is not enabled.

Let me know how you get on.

• Timothy Bowers

Where do you see the themes availability?

subsite.main.com/wp-admin/themes.php

If its not network activated then you shouldn't see it there. However

Or

subsite.main.com/wp-admin/themes.php?page=premium-themes

Another override can be made in the sites settings:

/wp-admin/network/site-themes.php?id=2

The id on the URL is the sites ID in question, You can access the site list from:

Site Admin --> Network Admin --> Sites

Then hover over the site and click edit. Themes enabled there are visible on a given site regardless of other settings in Pro Sites or WP MU themes.

Let me know how you get on.

• RodeoRamsey

Tim,

I'm in my Multisite Admin as a Super Admin..... Somehow when I setup the above settings to make my "Free" level only have 5 pages, I "lost" all my pages on my main site. They're still *there*, but I just can't view them from the front end for some reason. At first I thought it was a wonky friendly-URL issue, but I think it's due to that page restriction. I could be wrong tho. So for now, I am unable to even "test" the signup process.... My page is live but I don't want to broadcast it yet, can I send you the link privately?