pro sites and ads

In Pros sites settings for modules, you can turn on advertising for free sites only. But where do I set the levels and ads, what plugin do i need for the ads?

• Sue

Hi John and Gabe

Pro Sites has the Ad Module built in as part of the plugin and you don't need to use any other plugin with it.

After you've selected Advertising in Pro Sites > Modules/Gateways you go to Pro Sites > Settings in the network admin.

If you scroll down the Pro sites Settings page you'll see the Ads modules where you can specific which level displays the ad, the location of where you display the ads, and you can add your ad code.

You can also decide if the user can use their Pro site to disable Ads on other sites and if they can enable access to other features such as Premium themes. XMLRPC, unfiltered HTML on other sites.

Hope this has helped and please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• Sue

Hi John

Absolutely no problem and easy to miss if you check the settings page before activating a Module.

You'll find the usage instructions for Pro sites here - https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/#usage

The usage documentation will help but I would also recommend you ask us to clarify any aspects you need more information on since Pro sites is used in a wide range of ways that is hard to cover in documentation.

Please note Pro sites was originally developed for Edublogs.org so I'm always happy to explain how we use (or used) each module on our network and can grab other support team members to answer questions on other areas of Pro sites that we mightn't use.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• John

Thanks a lot, Sue.
    Now about another problem I have trying to setup Pro Sites.
    Imagine Pro Sites is setup at prosites.com
    At "settings" I have "Both sites and user accounts can be registered."
    Now when a (new) user registers a site, for example belle.prosites.com, an email gets sent to the user to activate their blog.
    The activate link in there goes to a 404 page
    Trying to access the site belle.prosites.com, it is redirected to belle.prosites.com/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi, in other words it is loading the default page of the webhost.
    Before I installed Pro Sites I had "Multisite Plugin Manager" installed, but then I got a message saying it was not compatible with Pro Sites, so I deleted it.
    Now I can't get the subdomain setup to work again :slight_frown:
    Any hints, or do I need to start from scratch again?
    According to http://codex.wordpress.org/File:network-create.png I should have a "network setup" option under tools, but I have no such option ...

• PC

Hello John,

Greetings and thanks for your post.

Sue asked me to help you on this issue. It seems like this 404 error is due to the wildcard dns not working properly.

Can you please make sure if the Wild card DNS is setup properly ?

That is required to make the sub domains working.

According to http://codex.wordpress.org/File:network-create.png I should have a "network setup" option under tools, but I have no such option ...

I believe you had completed the network set up before you installed Pro sites. that option does not appear once the setup is complete.

PS : To make sure we deal with threads effectively, we always suggest our members to open a new thread for each different issue. The main reason is that we can effectively track the progress and when other members want to help, they generally look at the issue title. So, if my suggestion does not work, can you please create a new support thread and call me by mentioning @PC in the thread ?

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• John

Thanks PC
    I checked all my DNS and that seemed fine, although I also had somehow an A record for webdisk.* and I deleted that.
    Things were still not well, except on another computer I was having more luck.
    Turned out that after deleting all cookies etc everything is working fine now, at least the basic install; now adding all the bells and whistles ...

Not that I really know what the problem was, but at least I got it going again.

Thanks again to all