Pro Sites and BuddyPress

I've got a bazillion issues and questions with a multi-site that I have both Pro Sites and BuddyPress installed. They seem to be fighting for the same registration and login details. Before I slam you with a barrage of questions, what would be the basics I need to know regarding having both of these plugins installed?

Without getting into the details yet, I'm having issues with permissions for users accessing their blog after trying to create one, the information in emails the user gets for accessing the new blog, and signing up and paying for Pro Site levels.

Thanks in advance.

TerryG

I've got another multi-site using the Blogs MU theme that works great. I've been doing a lot of testing in the last day but I can't seem to get my new multi-site to work properly. Let's see if I can break this down.

Currently I have BuddyPress turned off. I have Pro Sites turned on but we'll get to that later. There's probably a post about this problem somewhere but I can't find it.

I am using a ThemeForest BuddyPress theme called Bounce. (but I've tested with the Blogs MU theme with the same results) When a user clicks the signup button (/wp-signup.php) it directs them to /register-2/. (/register/ takes you to a contact form for some reason).

1) The user is asked for a password, but that password never works for login. You have to use the randomly assigned one that is presented at the end of signup. (The user clicks the login link, doesn't note the assigned password, and they are toast at that point for logging in) Why does the program ask for a password then not use it? How can I make the program use the input password?

2) The user gets 2 emails: 1st email-

Thanks for registering! To complete the activation of your account and blog, please click the following link:
    http://bytheminutenews.com/activate/?key=e50be06a1a1ff66e

After you activate, you can visit your blog here:
    http://1/

- First off, if the user actually notes the assigned password, they CAN login to their site. So, what is the activation for? When this link is clicked, it takes you to the Activate page but does not automatically fill in the activation code. Even when copying and pasting into the box, the activation is never successful.
    -Next, note the link to the blog. This is the same for every blog created. What's with that?

2nd email -

Dear User,

Your new By The Minute News site has been successfully set up at:
    http://test7.bytheminutenews.com/

You can log in to the administrator account with the following information:
    Username: tester7
    Password: [User Set]

We hope you enjoy your new site. Thanks!

As stated above, the [User Set] password never works.

Hopefully it's something simple and stupid that I'm doing or have set wrong. Can you help me out?

Thanks.

aecnu

Greetings TerryG,

Thank you for the detailed information and other then a possible permalink issue I cannot think of anything that could be causing these issues.

I admit the behavior is completely bizarre and I "was" go mention that I had this working fine for two years now on FacePressSites.com but when I went to the site to get the link I remembered that I removed the password creation plugin because if anything else has a password type item in it - it neither of them work correctly.

And I am thinking that this is indeed what you are facing is a password conflict but with what and where is the kicker.

Relative to the registration page anomalies, have you set or reset your permalinks to anything else but default? i.e. %/postname% ?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

TerryG

Thanks for the reply.

I turned off all the Network plugins (which were all WPMU plugins) and the activation now works. But the activation email still has that last bit:

After you activate, you can visit your blog here:

http://1/

The other email is generated by the Network (Network Settings > User email) and the User Set password now works. But where does the other email come from? One of the plugins I turned off was Remove Email Verification.

Still testing ... Will try turning on the plugins one-by-one... will keep you posted.

TerryG

It's your Remove Email Verification plugin that creates the password conflict.

Without it turned on, the user can use the password they entered at signup. With it turned on, they still get the activation email and the welcome email that states that they can login with the user set password.

That brings to mind a few questions:
    Why is the user still getting the activation email? I don't see where you can turn that off in the network settings. Seems like that plugin should deactivate that if being used.

If the user clicks on the link to check out their website or to go to the login page, how would the user know what their password is unless they copy or write it down before they leave the page? (without using the lost password feature)

I'm turning the Remove Email Verification plug off until I can those questions answered. Now all I have to do is figure out the //1/ link thing ...

aecnu

Greetings TerryG,

Thank you for your additional input here.

Any confirmation on this issue?

No sir unfortunately I cannot confirm this issue on my production servers.

However, the activation email you are referring to I found to be coming not from Pro Sites but from the WordPress Core around lines 740-744 in the wp-includes folder ms-functions.php file.

After you activate, you can visit your site here:

But the exact one you have is actually coming from Buddy Press and not present in WordPress nor Pro Sites i.e. After you activate, you can visit your blog here:

\bp-core\ folder bp-core-filters.php file around line 222

So this appears to be a Buddy Press issue indeed and the construction of the activation URL a bit different.

You may want to work through standard troubleshooting protocol to see if there are any conflicts.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe