Pro sites and domain mapping

To whom it may concern

I have signed up to enom and I am trying to add domain mapping to prosites, I have granted site access please can you check what else I need to do?

Also is there a way to prevent users creating a site like softwareprofs.com/subsiteexample and instead force them to create a bespoke domain?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Peter,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

When you go to Settings > Domain Mapping panel in your network admin section you can scroll down to the end of page where you can select which Pro Sites levels can map domains.

Also is there a way to prevent users creating a site like softwareprofs.com/subsiteexample and instead force them to create a bespoke domain?

Only limitation you can do is from Settings > Domain Mapping panel where you will see Prohibited mappings field where you can enter prohibited domains.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Peter,

Looks like Domain Mapping is not configured correctly yet, please access your installation via FTP and edit your wp-config.php, you need to make sure you have below code just above /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ line:
    define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' )

After that go to /wp-content/plugins/domain-mapping/ folder and make sure to move (not copy) sunrise.php from there to your /wp-content/ folder.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Dimitris

Hello Peter,

I really hope that everything's going well for you today and don't mind skipping in! :slight_smile:

please can you go to Network dashboard - settings - domain mapping - and check the mapping options and reseller tabs and double check the settings in there are ok please?

I just inspected these settings and there're two things that should be resolved.

1. You haven't used any Prohibited mappings in Network -> Settings -> Domain Mapping as my colleague Predrag stated before, in order to limit your clients options.

2. There's an error considering enom connection in Reseller Options tab

Please check again your credentials there and keep in mind the following:
    "Your account id and password are the same you use to login to your eNom account.
    The Select environment setting enables you to specify whether to use a test account at http://resellertest.enom.com/ or your live account at http://www.enom.com/ Be sure the account ID & password you just entered are for the right account. :slight_smile:"

Detailed information about all settings can be found in https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

Warm regards,
    Dimitris :slight_smile:

• Dimitris

Hello Peter,

I hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

It says something about an IP is the IP on the first tab correct?

Indeed, this should be your server's IP address. As you can read in the info box above the aforementioned error:

"Keep in mind that to start using eNom API you have to add your server IP address in the live environment. Go to eNom Help Center, click "Launch the Support Center" button and submit a new ticket. In the new ticket set "Add IP" subject, type the IP address(es) you wish to add and select API category."

Can you please verify this settings in your Enom account? Please advise! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Peter

Hi

enom has now added the IP.

In the options, I have selected to disallow use of the main domain (softwareprofs.com) so the customer has to purchase a brand new domain.

However, it is still requesting they use a subdomain as you can see from this page http://www.softwareprofs.com/wordpress-sites/ when they click sign up they are required to populate a field after http://www.softwareprofs.com/

I would like them to only purchase a new domain not use a subdomain, please check all settings

• Dimitris

Hello Peter,

I hope that you're having a beautiful day! :slight_smile:

I believe that this is the normal behaviour. A user registers a new site, get his/her credentials through an email, then from his/her dashboard (and if there's such capability for his/her pro site level) he/she purchase a domain names and you'll gain commission via eNom's Reseller program.

Your Enom settings seems valid now. Can you please verify that this is indeed the web flow here?

Warm regards,
    Dimitris :slight_smile:

• Dimitris

Hey there Peter,

it's something like 37 degrees celsius right now in Greece but other than that the day is good! :slight_smile:

I have created a coupon called test. This takes away any cost of signing up. Please, can you sign up as a user using this coupon so that you may see what is wrong with it still?
    When it generated a username and password for me it wouldn't allow me to use the link to access the login page.

Can you please forgive me but I was unable to get any email credentials too, but this happens because I can't sign up without re-directing to PayPal even though I applied the test coupon.

First, I noticed a JS error in the dev tools, under the /wordpress-site/ page. The error was declaring that jQuery was not defined. I just went ahead and completely disabled the Hummingbird's srttyles & scripts minification through Network settings. This kicked out the error but still didn't change anything else in my singup flow.
    Did you manage to create a test user for yourself with this coupon? Did you redirected to PayPal for a zero payment maybe?
    I can see that the coupon has at least one more valid use, despite that I tried with both levels and coupon seemed to be valid each time. Aborting the PayPal site, got my user created without any mail sent or blog created obviously.
    Despite that, and if it is possible, I can use a PayPal sandbox account in order to test the sign up process in a clean state. Please advise!

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Peter

Hi

It will direct you to paypal to complete the process however it will be for 0 amount. It seems that is the way pro sites works.

As far as I am aware everything for domain mapping is correct but I can't see why the option isn't there. Below are the three things I think are needed for setup for you to check.

1. The IP given to enom was 149.255.62.54 I got this IP from settings-domain mapping - mapping option

2. As you can see from the messages above from the previous support agent I needed to log in to my FTP and change things. Here is the log in for my FTP

[REMOVED BY STAFF MEMBER]

3. I think I have set up the correct settings in both mapping options and reseller options under settings - domain mapping

Many thanks for you help

• Dimitris

Hey there,

I just gave this another try. I completed the zero payment and my credentials showed up (Username: dimitriswpmudev etc) along with a message that my payment is being processed and I should receive an email.
    As far as I can see, I've got no email, no blog have been created and my user is created without being added in any blog.
    The coupon seems that it's been used, but I can't really say about the payment.
    Can you please confirm if the payment was successful? We should be able to narrow that down somehow! :slight_smile:

1. The IP given to enom was 149.255.62.54 I got this IP from settings-domain mapping - mapping option

This is the correct IP, indeed.

2. As you can see from the messages above from the previous support agent I needed to log in to my FTP and change things. Here is the log in for my FTP

First of all, I removed these credentials as this is a public forum, crawled by Google.
    Having said that, please delete this FTP user, or change the password, and send us your new details through our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Dimitris"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

3. I think I have set up the correct settings in both mapping options and reseller options under settings - domain mapping

I can't see anything wrong there... I'll ping my colleagues for a second look.

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Peter

Hi

I have sent you the FTP details for you to check everything is ok there.

Your test site doesn't appear to be showing but our user details are.

I thought it was just domain mapping that was not working but maybe it is also prosites that is also not set up right. Hopefully, you can work out the problems because I am at a lost at why domain mapping is not working and why websites are not registering.

The site could not be registering because I have turned off using subdomains of softwareprofs in the mapping options.

Kind regards

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Peter,

I hope you're having a nice day and don't mind me jumping into this conversation :slight_smile:

The Pro Sites plugin will not work with 100% coupon code so it's not possible currently to use such a coupon. That's something our developers are already aware of and are looking for a fix. Hopefully they'll be able to make Pro Sites not-ask for payment in case of 100% discount because PayPal (and I thin other gateways as well) simply doesn't support "0 value" payments. To sum it up: this has been reported as a bug to the developers and we're waiting for a fix. I'm not able to give you an ETA on this though.

As for Domain Mapping and restricting site registration under main domain.

This is not related to Domain Mapping, it's just the way WordPress works. It's not possible to "disable" the main domain and force users to use ONLY mapped domains. First the site has to be created and it always has to be created either as a sub-domain or as a sub-folder (depending on your site's setup) of your main domain. That's the "workflow/logic" of WordPress.

There may be a workaround however.

You could but an additional domain and add it to your setup using our Multi-Domains plugin. Take a look here please:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains/

This allows your users to select if they want to create a site under the main domain or any of additional domains. For example:

- your main domain is "main.com"
    - your additional domain is "other.com"
    - user can choose if his site should be "site.main.com" or a "site.other.com"

While you have already restricted "main.com" it should be possible to hide it (with a small snippet of additional code) from the domain selection drop-down list. Therefore user could only create their site under "other.com" (additional domain).

Then, Domain Mapping could be used to force those sub-sites to be redirected always to a mapped domains. So, for example:

- user creates "site.other.com"
    - user maps "mydomain.com" to the "site.other.com"
    - regardless whether user visits "site.other.com" or "mydomain.com", he/she is always redirected to the "mydomain.com".

I think this would be as close to your goal as possible. Furthermore, I think we could also find a workaround that would block access to "site.other.com" if there's no external domain mapped. As a result the site wouldn't be accessible until user maps external domain.

I could help you with such setup if it would suit your needs, however please note that it's a complex solution and I'd strongly suggest going through it "step-by-step".

Best regards,
    Adam

• Peter

Hi Adam

Thank you for your response. At the moment I really need prosites and domain mapping set up. I think all is well with prosites but domain mapping doesn't appear to be working as when I go to register a new site there is not an option to buy a domain.

When I mentioned I had prevented them using the main domain all I have done is tick the box in settings - domain mapping - mapping options and in there was a box i could tick that said "Disallow sub-domains of the original domain to be used as mapped (primary) domain for sub-sites" thinking this forced users to create a new domain I ticked it.

For now I really need prosites and domain mapping to work and then maybe we can sort out other kinks that you mentioned above later. The service was meant to go live on the 1st.

Kind regards

Peter

• Peter

Following on from my message above.

I have created another coupon discounting the sign-up fee to only $0.50. The following issues occurred.

1. It still has not asked me to choose a bespoke domain which suggest domain mapping is not set up

2. I can not access the dashboard of the test site

The credentials for the test site are
    [ content removed by staff member ]

Please feel free to log in and see.

Please, can you set up domain mapping and if needs be prosites. to make this possible I have granted access to my network in the wpmu dev dashboard. I have provided my FTP settings and the domain has been set up with enom.

I am willing to give this a couple more days before asking for a refund for my subscription as this was the reason I joined WPMU Dev.

Many thanks

Peter

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Peter!

Thank you for your response. At the moment I really need prosites and domain mapping set up. I think all is well with prosites but domain mapping doesn't appear to be working as when I go to register a new site there is not an option to buy a domain.

Users should be able to buy and map their own domains from their site's dashboards, not during the signup.

When I mentioned I had prevented them using the main domain all I have done is tick the box in settings - domain mapping - mapping options and in there was a box i could tick that said "Disallow sub-domains of the original domain to be used as mapped (primary) domain for sub-sites" thinking this forced users to create a new domain I ticked it.

If the Domain Mapping plugin is already working admins of sites in your network will be able to buy and map their own domains via their site's dashboards. The "Disallow sub-domains of the original domain to be used as mapped (primary) domain for sub-sites" means doesn't "force" domain purchase.

By default every new site is created as a sub-domain (or a subfolder, depending on your setup) of your main domain. This is the "core" WP workflow. The option that you mentioned means that you cannot map additional subdomain of your main domain to any site only.

1. It still has not asked me to choose a bespoke domain which suggest domain mapping is not set up

As I explained above, admins can buy and map new domains via their sites' dashboards.

2. I can not access the dashboard of the test site

The credentials for the test site are
    [ content removed by staff member ]

Please feel free to log in and see.

I removed access credentials that you posted here due to security reasons. This forum is publicly visible and fairly well indexed by Google and other search engines. Please do never post any passwords and logins (and other sensitive information) here. In case we needed them we'll let you know about the way to securely send them to us. Alternatively, if there's a support access granted to your site you may add such information to the text box on a "WPMU DEV -> Support" page of your site's dashboard.

Please, can you set up domain mapping and if needs be prosites. to make this possible I have granted access to my network in the wpmu dev dashboard. I have provided my FTP settings and the domain has been set up with enom.

I am willing to give this a couple more days before asking for a refund for my subscription as this was the reason I joined WPMU Dev

I'm really sorry Peter for the troubles that you experience. I think however the setup you're currently working on clearly doesn't seem to fully suit your needs.

Could you please provide me with a brief description of what exactly would you like to achieve and how should it work? Please forget for a second about specific plugins and just describe the idea/project/workflow for me. An example user case scenario would also be helpful.

I'd like to recap what we're heading here for and see whether I could find a better solution for you. I believe this way we could achieve much better results :slight_smile: I hope that makes sense to you :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Peter

Ah ok I understand now. I thought the domain was selected at the sign up process. That is fine to be done in the dashboard as long as it is set up.

There seems to be a little bit of trouble with the test site. When I go to the test site even though I am logged in when I hover over my sites and go to dashboard it just stays on the sign-up page of my site. There is a message on the site above the feature table saying "There are pending changes to your account. This message will disappear once these pending changes are completed."

I don't know what these changes are or why it won't allow me to access the dashboard.

I have logged in to the network admin to see the status of the site and it has the test site registered there but says it has never been a prosite even though I signed up for a prosite and my recept states the subscription I signed up to. It appears it is registered as a free site even though I disabled free option and only have paid subscriptions. So even though I signed up for a prosite I can not access the dashboard to create a website.

Maybe this would be easier to do on a screenshare?

You have access to my network admin so you can also check the status of testing1 I can securely send you the log in details of the testing one website if you wish to see what I mean by not allowing to access the dashboard even though I am clicking dashboard.

Many thanks

Peter

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Peter and thank you for your replay!

Ah ok I understand now. I thought the domain was selected at the sign up process. That is fine to be done in the dashboard as long as it is set up.

It looks like we should be able to go on with this setup after all then :slight_smile: Thanks for letting me know about it.

I accessed your site again and I can see the issue with the test site. It seems like the Pro Sites plugin never got notified by PayPal whether the transaction was successful or not, I think.

I noticed that your PayPal account is set to the "Live" mode. Could you please for the time of troubleshooting switch it to a "sandbox" mode? You will need to create a new set of credentials for sandbox mode but it will let me test it and also will be much safer to troubleshoot and make changes. Please make sure that you also configured an IPN URL in sandbox PayPal account (that's described on "Pro Sites -> Payment Gateways -> PayPal Express/Pro" page).

Let me know please when your ready with this (and make sure that the support access is still active) and I'll test it then and we'll work on getting it set up to work fine. Once the Pro Sites is up and running as expected we could then jump to other issues (such as Domain Mapping and further configuration).

Best regards,
    Adam

• Peter

Hi Adam

Fantastic, pro sites is fully operational. I have also seen how to add domain mapping under tools. though I have not attempted to see if this works.

For subscribers to add domain mapping do they need to add records to their DNS?

What does this button do since it does not force domain purchase? "Disallow sub-domains of the original domain to be used as mapped (primary) domain for sub-sites"

Thank you for your help

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Peter!

Fantastic, pro sites is fully operational.

I suppose than that after switching to "sandbox" mode and setting up IPN URL it started to work properly, is that correct? You will also be able to switch back to "Live" mode again when you need it, just make sure that while switching PayPal mode in plugin you also updated set of credentials in plugin configuration: there's a different set for sandbox and different for live mode. Also make sure that the IPN URL is configured in your "live" PayPal account. It should then be all working fine :slight_smile:

I have also seen how to add domain mapping under tools. though I have not attempted to see if this works.

I think it should now be working well but in case you came across any issues just start a dedicated thread on our support forum and we'll assist you.

For subscribers to add domain mapping do they need to add records to their DNS?

By "subscribers" you mean sub-sites' admins, right? Yes, they'll need to point their domains to your site meaning that they'll need to set "A" record to point to your dedicated IP. It will also take some time for DNS system to propagate this setting so don't worry in case it wasn't possible to map a domain withing first 24-72 hours after setting DNS "A" record. Usually it takes just a few hours but sometimes it can take even up to 3 days. If the domain cannot be mapped after that period then let me know and I'll investigate the issue.

What does this button do since it does not force domain purchase? "Disallow sub-domains of the original domain to be used as mapped (primary) domain for sub-sites"

Let me please give you an example:

- your main site (= main domain) is "main.com"
    - you (or user) create a sub-site "sub.main.com"
    - now you can map a domain to it:
    a) it can be a 3rd party domain, e.g. "other.com"
    b) it can also be another sub-domain of your main domain: you can simply map "something. main.com" to the "sub.main.com"

As a result the "something.main.com" and "other.com" and "sub.main.com" will all load the same sub-site: "sub.main.com". Additionally, nobody will be able to set a new site as "something.main.com".

The button in question block that option (the "b" option) so you can no longer map "something.main.com" to "sub.main.com" and instead you can only map an external domain to it (other.com).

I hope that makes sense to you :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.