Pro-Sites and New Users: what is the process step-by-step

Howdy!

Here's what I want to do:

IDEALLY: I want to have a person come to my site, click a JOIN NOW button, be directed to a registration page to determine how many Sites they want (1,2, or 3), then be directed to pay Paypal (or another gateway), pay the fee and be directed back to a page where they can start the process of creating their own blog. From there then they can create additional sites, depending on the amount they paid.

All sub-sites are going to be basically the same — although I like the new function in NBT allowing them to choose their template. This new function will allow me to customize the four different types of Sites I want to have: individual, family, event and organization and activate useful and appropriate plugins for each kind.

I don’t want to offer themes (not yet anyway), and I don’t want people to be able to activate or deactivate plugins.

I thought that Membership got people in the door and ProSites added space to each site if they were prolific writers.

--------------

After a lot of discussion in a number of places, I have finally understood that the Membership plugin is not going to be the one that does what I want it to do -- even though I sure think it should.

Barry suggested I use Pro-Sites, and I have set up some levels, and enabled the pay to blog module.

I walked through a sign up process, and because I had enabled the "Both sites and user accounts can be registered."

I made a new account. I got the confirmation email and then activated the user account.

Now what?

Here're my questions:

Now where does someone go to pay? -- and is it possible to make this step as part of the sign up process rather than another step after the confirmation email?

How do I limit viewable content to only logged-in members?

How do I manage their memberships? Via the User panel?

Thank you, Stephanie

• aecnu

Greetings stephanie,

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Considering your plan Barry was spot on with his suggestion to use Pro Sites.

Now where does someone go to pay? -- and is it possible to make this step as part of the sign up process rather than another step after the confirmation email?

First I would suggest to concentrate on getting your registration as you had indicated you want where when they sign up they also create a site to begin with.

This will in itself save you a lot of grief and support tickets too.

I accomplish this by simply removing from the hard coding of WordPress Just a username, please. around lines 263 and 264 of the wp-signup.php file itself and then I permission just that file 444 read only so that it cannot be over written with an update.

I completely remove:

<input id="signupuser" type="radio" name="signup_for" value="user" <?php echo $signup['user'] ?> />
    			<label class="checkbox" for="signupuser"><?php _e('Just a username, please.') ?></label>

How do I limit viewable content to only logged-in members?

It depends on where you want that "viewable content" to be presented. In the dashboard perhaps?

How do I manage their memberships? Via the User panel?

You manage the members within the network admin dashboard as well as the sites.

Do I need to use a CAPTCHA or BLOCK SPAM BY MATH to keep spammers from setting up a gazillion accounts?

I think it is your best interest to set up a TOS using the Terms Of Service plugin.

Next to further mess them up in a permanent way - the Anti-Splog plugin and using it's built in "Cats" captcha which I personally enjoy.

Well that appears to have answered all your questions in this ticket.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member and have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

• stephanie

Joe... thank you so much for responding to my query.... while I have a fairly good understanding of the theories of databases, and do ok with wordpress, et al... I admit to a high degree of ignorance in the nitty gritty of the code - and a bit of fear of making changes that may mess up my install...

So, please pardon my questions if they are dumb, paranoid or missing your point.

FIRST----------

You said remove this code from the wp-signup.php file:

<input id="signupuser" type="radio" name="signup_for" value="user" <?php echo $signup['user'] ?> />
    <label class="checkbox" for="signupuser"><?php _e('Just a username, please.') ?></label>

I will do this now...

And I have in PROSITES the

SECOND -------

Will I need to use the "Limit Blogs per User" to limit the number of sites a user can set up?

THIRD ----------------

REGARDING MY Q: How do I limit viewable content to only logged-in members?

YOUR ANSWER: It depends on where you want that "viewable content" to be presented. In the dashboard perhaps?

What I have in mind is the Buddypress Page for Members -- I am not sure I want "visitors" (meaning those people not logged in) to be able to see the members list.

FOURTH --------

I still have a question about the Membership plugin.... if it is activated on sub site and not the main site, does it still prohibit USERS from setting up their own sites on a multisite network?

• aecnu

Greetings stephanie,

Will I need to use the "Limit Blogs per User" to limit the number of sites a user can set up?

That is absolutely correct.

What I have in mind is the Buddypress Page for Members -- I am not sure I want "visitors" (meaning those people not logged in) to be able to see the members list.

For this if visitors to the site can truly see the members list which I am not sure that they can, have you observed this behavior, that a visitor can get a list of members?

I still have a question about the Membership plugin.... if it is activated on sub site and not the main site, does it still prohibit USERS from setting up their own sites on a multisite network?

The answer is no but the best thing to do in this case is configure Membership for the whole network then and use the Pro Sites within.

Please advise to if in fact visitors can actually see the members list.

Cheers, Joe

• stephanie

Joe -- I have not done anything more on this, and will be getting back to it tonight/early tomorrow morning .... I do a radio show on Mondays (called Personal and Political, you should listen -- on wgdr.org :slight_smile: ) anyway, so I am wrapping my brain around this now...

I have had many thoughts on permutations and possibilities, and am planning on putting it together in a summary for clarity's sake. I can't imagine I am the only person who will face the considerations I raise.

But mostly now: I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your - and there rest of the people here at WPMUDEV -- help! Y'all are really great!

• aecnu

Greetings stephanie,

I can clearly see that you are a busy person and I appreciate your efforts to convey what is and is not happening for your web site.

I would certainly be honored to listen to your show but involving politics is not a good subject for me since I think cock roaches are of better character and demeanor then parasitical politicians.

See I have already said to much.

However I am looking forward to helping if I possibly can concerning your Pro Sites issue.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings stephanie,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.