Pro Sites and Stripe questions - setting up sites on behalf of clients

Hi guys,

I am setting up a site for selling business websites to visitors. If they want to "roll their own" site, they can subscribe through Pro Sites as normal. However, I want to offer a means of setting up the site for them for a fee (for the technophobic clients I often find myself with). I figure on creating a custom payment page for that option that ties directly into Stripe, that will gather all the information I would need and create them as a Stripe customer.

Here's my question - can anyone tell me how to connect an existing Stripe customer with a blog under Pro Sites? It is pretty easy to tie the subscription into the client on the Stripe side of things, but it would need to pull back into Pro Sites, or something, to put the system back into an automated mode.

Any other suggestions are welcome, too!
Thanks!
Scott

• aecnu

Greetings Scott,

Though I personally know nothing about Stripe myself and after checking them out that they cannot touch my current merchant account at - 1.79% I have no desire to deal with them personally.

However, for the life of me I cannot figure out why to tie the Pro Sites level to the customization plan you are talking about if it is a one time build? ~or~ if you want to charge them for custom development and have it recurring why not include that as a Pro Sites level to begin with?

I am not being sarcastic or anything, I just don't get it.

Please advise.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• scallas

Hi Joe,

Here's the idea... capture the customer and the payment upfront. Yes, Pro Sites is an awesome tool for selling a "roll your own" website. I want to capture all of those clients I can, and that is the easier part. I also intend on taking on semi-custom website customers through this system. I want to simplify the customers experience, keep it all in one payment system (though multiple charges would be ok) and keep the client in Pro Sites for the long term ease of use, but keep the client out of the setup process and deliver a site already set up for them. It's sort of a midway point between a client creating their own website and a full custom website for the client.

For the life of me, I can't see why everybody isn't doing something like this.... not being sarcastic... uh, well maybe I am. All in fun, though. :slight_smile:

Maybe I'm missing something in Pro Sites. I don't see any means of charging any sort of initial setup fee once and then reverting to a regular monthly fee. If you have any illumination on that, that's what I'm looking for.

Thank you,
    Scott

• scallas

Thanks for the input, Troykd.

Maxaud: thanks for the support!

I'm still trying to figure it out. Most of my custom projects will include a face to face or phone conversations. I'm thinking I can simply get credit card information there and set up the subscription through Pro Sites on their behalf, communicating to the client they should expect a charge for their setup fee (if I charge their setup fee through Stripe) and then their subscription fees.

Thanks again!

• aecnu

Greetings david10,

The merchant account I am using to get 1.79% is First Data in Atlanta Georgia, though it has nothing to do with Pro Sites plugin, I was looking at it from a big picture perspective for my private companies.

I use PayPal for all online transactions due to the security they offer and the low rate of 1.9% we pay them plus the 30 cents per transaction.

In addition, I will not take the gamble of using our merchant account online considering $25 charge back fee whether you win or lose and reserve it for our recurring services like DSL and VoIP where the likely hood of fraud is nil to none due to real time address necessary for DSL service.

In our online we mostly do digital downloads and subscriptions with PayPal where there is almost no such thing as a charge back and the rate is even lower for micro transactions. As a matter of fact on a recent test transaction of 50 cents for a digital product PayPal charged us 1 cent.

Therefore though I do not at this moment readily recall the terms of stripe, it appears that between being grand fathered in by PayPal and on a side note our PayPal Debit card which offers us 1% cash back and International ATM withdrawals for $1, I cannot justify for one second switching to anything else or even adding anything else making it just one more payment portal to have to keep track of for accounting.

Sincerely, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.