Pro Sites : Can I only offer free offers?

For my e-learning website, I would like that the instructors can create their free website (via Pro Sites).

Is it possible to propose only a free offer?

It's an existing site, do I risk losing data?

Thanks!

• Milan

Hello David ,

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

I do not have your site's full information like its already a MultiSite installation or single site installation but if its single site installation, there is risk of losing data. But if you have plans of migrating your single site to MultiSite, its always good practice that you apply that migration on staging site first. It will help you to be sure that weather you are losing data or not. :slight_smile:

Furthermore, Your user can always subscribe to free basic site without subscribing to any of Pro Site levels. Your user will get link saying "No I'll continue with basic site for now". Clicking on that link will let your user register for a basic site. :slight_smile:

But If you want to offer Pro level for free of cost, you can enable trial for 365 days ( that's max limit you can set ) and chose level you want to offer as trial. This will let your user subscribe to pro level without paying any amount. :slight_smile: You can get more setting options for Trial on Pro Sites > Settings > General Settings > "Free Trial" and "Free Trial Level"

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further explanation here. :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Dimitris

Hey there David,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

I'll make a backup before attempting the establishment of the multisite.

Feel free to proceed with the site transformation to a Multisite and if you need any further assistance with this, contact us by creating a new thread considering the issue you're dealing with. https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/how-to-open-a-support-ticket/

What I wanted to comment here is that Pro Sites is actually a plugin to offer site creation for your users with these basic functionalities:
    1. possibility of monetization of these new sites' creations through payment gateways
    2. limit access to specific themes/plugins in newly created sites (for your instructors in your case)

If all these aren't obligatory for your model, then you can simply have a multisite installation with open registrations without using Pro Sites. :wink:

Hope that was some help,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David!

I'm glad you get to a Multisite stage from a single site with no issues, that's a good start for your project!

How to allow instructors to create their site (free) without Pro Sites?

All that's needed is a setting on "Network Admin -> Settings" (or "Network Admin -> Settings -> Network Settings" depending on which one is available on your site) page. Visit that page as a super admin and find the "Registration Settings" section.

There are two ways that can be set:

1. Logged in users may register new sites

or

2. Both sites and user accounts can be registered

#1. This won't let anybody "freely" register the site. First a user has to have an account on your site and must log in. Only then user is able to create new site. That can be handy if you don't want to let anybody ("3rd party visitors") register sites "out of the box".

#2. This will let every visitor to your site create his/her own page.

To create a site user has to visit "yoursite.com/wp-signup.php" page.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.