Pro Sites continued PHP Warning

I just opened my php_errorlog and it is full of this Warning over and over again.

[01-Dec-2015 00:55:05 UTC] PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_fd5f8rvj6sl2u6794s2tsnc293, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/Helper/Session.php on line 29
[01-Dec-2015 00:55:06 UTC] PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_fd5f8rvj6sl2u6794s2tsnc293, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
[01-Dec-2015 00:55:06 UTC] PHP Warning:  Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

This is happening over and over again - in the hundreds per day. Please inform. What can I do to fix this Warning?

• Sajid

Hi @Operapreneur,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

This seems the directory allocated to store PHP sessions does not exist or have wrong permissions. I have found an blog article for exact same issue where the author proposed a few fixes. Please try one of those and let us know if that helps or not.
    http://www.shdon.com/blog/2014/05/09/php-why-might-session_start-fail-claiming-no-such-file-or-directory

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Sajid J

• Operapreneur

Thanks for your response Sajid. I reached out to my hosting company about the claim in the article you mentioned: "PHP's session.save_path either does not exist or does not have the appropriate permissions set." They said they'd help: "If you would like us to change any specific server settings/variables..." So shouldn't PHP's session.save_path exist or the permissions be set automatically within a typical hosting environment regardless of Wordpress or Third Party Plugins settings?

I'm not a server admin, so I'm looking to gain some more info and learn from this whole situation. I'm trying to determine if the issue stems from the hosting setup or the plugin.

The PHP Warning I posted is from Dec 1 but in my php_errorlog it's listed hundreds of times a day and is still currently happening. What would be triggering this to run so often?

After running the Plugin Performance Profiler I noticed that Pro Sites is putting an incredible amount of stress on page load - over 10 times the amount of time when compared to WP Core (see atachment). Obviously you can see there is a major issue here. Do you think something is wrong with my Pro Sites install?

(This is not even mentioning that the Ultimate Branding plugin is 6 times the amount of WP Core. I've since deactivated it.)

Thanks for your help.

• Sajid

Hi @Operapreneur,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Did you asked your hosting to the changes mentioned in blog article I posted above ?

Yes, it should have done this automatically. I am using Pro Sites on my test environment from a while but did not get this warning. Also, we have not reported such issue before in our forum too. So its most likely the issue with your hosting, server configuration or your WordPress install. What is your host ?

Also did you checked for a plugin conflict ? If no then please do that once as illustrated in our getting support manual (flowchart).
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

I checked with P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) plugin but could not find the impact of Pro Sites of that level you are showing in screenshot.

I again, checked the debug log but there is no such error exists there on my own site.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Sajid J

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.