Pro Sites & Domain Mapping: Suspend domain mapping during Trials?

With both Pro Sites and Domain Mapping loaded and activated, I setup a Trial period for Pro Sites and set Domain Mapping to only be allowed by the pro levels that I setup in the "Levels" configuration. However, I had a questions about this:

(1) The application seems to allow a user to map a domain during the trial, which does not sound like a good idea. Is this the way it is supposed to work or is it a thing with my config work?

(2) If I connect my eNom reseller account, is the user billed by eNom or do I just have to have the account open with adequate balance for my users' purchases and bill them myself through Paypal?

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @Webmaster,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your questions.

This will certainly take a bit of trial and error to try to figure it out.

Therefore in an effort of expediency I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advise for us.

I have notified the plugin developer to reply here.

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Webmaster
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@Vinod - Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye on this thread because I very much want to deploy the eNom feature and just need to understand the back and forth between the application and eNom.

As for mapping a domain name during the trial period... If you verify that it is (currently) possible for the user to map a domain name during the Trial period, please submit a feature suggestion to make mapping a domain name one of those things that the user doesn't get until they checkout (or whatever you are calling it when they convert the trial to a paid site).

Thanks

• Webmaster

An option would work; to each his own. But as an eNom reseller, I don't want to sell someone a domain that they are mapping to a website that they have not yet paid for. Since I can't give them a domain name refund, if they decide against converting the Trial to a paid website, then I would have them as a domain name-only customer. And since eNom requires I support them - whatever domain name and DNS foolishness they may create or need help creating - I do not want that.

• Webmaster

And in regards to:

(2) If I connect my eNom reseller account, is the user billed by eNom or do I just have to have the account open with adequate balance for my users' purchases and bill them myself through Paypal?

What's the deal here? Is there a flow chart showing the current back and forth between your application and eNom?

• Webmaster

@Aaron,

Let's try it this way...

I would like to offer a "Free Domain Name with Website Purchase." Thus, once the buyer logs into their newly purchased website, they have the ability to search for and register any available domain name that they want to map to the subdomain their site is sitting on - without them having to make another financial transaction.

It sounds like this is the Paypal option (where they get to map a domain name without paying anything and it comes off my eNom balance). So the question becomes, is there a way to do this - a way to allow them to select a new domain name, but not order more than ONE domain, and therefore prevent people from registering multiple domain names on my eNom balance?

• Webmaster

Okay - now I am for sure confused. If they are registering using my eNom account, it is obviously not free, but it would be free to them. Otherwise, what is the Paypal option doing? Just sending me money and then I have to manually go register their domain name for them? Clearly, I don't get the sales flow here. Can you give me a scenario where your application works with my Paypal account - hopefully in a fully automated fashion.

Thanks -

• Webmaster

This is ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but you are talking in circles.

I explained...

I would like to offer a "Free Domain Name with Website Purchase." Thus, once the buyer logs into their newly purchased website, they have the ability to search for and register any available domain name that they want to map to the subdomain their site is sitting on - without them having to make another financial transaction.

I think we all know domain names are not free. I also thought I was pretty clear on wanting to bundle the costs into one payment. This means they would need to be able to register a domain name without making another payment. I thought your application accommodated this by using the Paypal option, the eNom API, and my reseller account. The question was simply asking if there are safeguards to prevent them from going back into the domain mapping area and registering a second or third domain name using my eNom account that is hooked to the API that gives your application the capability to register a domain name on my eNom reseller balance.

AGAIN, if this is wrong, just give me a scenario of what might be a typical transaction process using your Pro Sites and Domain Mapping plugins together. So a customer sees your Pro Sites website and... what? How the deveil is it supposed to work?

• Aaron
    • CTO

This is not possible with how the current plugin works.

The process is they signup for a site, later upgrade the site with pro sites, then later search for and buy a domain name in their dashboard.

• Webmaster

...then later search for and buy a domain name in their dashboard.

Okay, and if I use the Paypal option then they are paying me directly for the domain name through Paypal, correct?

And if so, then (a) I have to go get the domain name for them at eNom manually, or; (b) they have the ability to register the domain name themselves within the Domain Mapping section of their admin.

And if it is "(b) they have the ability to register the domain name themselves within the Domain Mapping section of their admin" then (and I am guessing here because I haven't heard yet) every time they try to register a new domain name then they are routed back through the Paypal payment gateway again before being able to register another domain name? And each of the customer's purchases are paid for (as far as eNom is concerned) with withdrawals from my reseller account balance?

So the customer is paying me one at a time for domain names using Paypal and I am providing those domain names through the API using my eNom balance.

Is that about it?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.