Pro Sites - Forum Integration?

The info page for Pro Sites says:

You can also extend Pro Sites even further by integrating it with many of our popular plugins, including:
Forums

I assume integrating forums with Pro Site would mean that you can have forums that are only accessible/writeable by current members. Is this correct?

I would like to have a forum for my current Pro Sites members. In other words, I'd like those that are ACTIVE/PAID in their memberships be able to ask questions and comment in a forum. I don't want to have to manually add new members or check for status. (I'd actually like the forum to be readable/searchable by anyone, if possible, but if it can only be viewable by those signed in, that's not a deal breaker.)

Is this what the ProSites-Forum integration will do? If so, where can I get info on how to set this up? (And can I use any forum or only the WPMUDev forum plugin?) If not, what does it mean?

Thanks for your help with this.

• Arun Basil Lal

Hello ProSapien,

Actually No, Forums integration with Pro Sites isn't that. Pro Sites is a feature limiting plugin, not access limiting plugin.

With Pro Sites, You can set the number of forums subsites can have on Free plans v/s updated plans.

A Pro Sites - Membership plugin integration is on the way, this is something that is possible with the integration.

Here is how it could work for now, well, if you have a limited number of users. You could have the forum on the main blog, and add all existing users of other sites using our Add Existing Users plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/add-existing-users/

Or, Install BuddyPress and BuddyPress Forums on the Main Site. Members will be able to access it, some custom work would be needed to make sure that only Pro Sites Members can post, but that shouldnt be hard.

What do you think?

• ProSapien

Thank you for the response and for clarifying. I really look forward to that integration. It will be so helpful to have a way for paid users to exclusive access to particular areas.

I read the docs and added the recommended plugin. But I'm unsure how this will help. Here are my questions:

(1) When it refers to "existing users," it's obviously not referring to existing users on my main site. Is it referring to network site owners? Something else? (This should be specified in the docs.)

(2) The plugin doesn't pull the "existing users." I basically have to gather up all the emails of the "existing users" and enter them manually. Right? Did I miss something?

(3) Once I do all that and set their roles, I assume it will enter them as registered users of my site, but does it also enter them as forum users or somehow connect them to the forum system? (In other words, how does this help with what I'm trying to do?)

Thanks for your help.

• aecnu

Greetings ProSapien,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe